University Desktop

daniel

Well im going to university this summer, and well in about a month i will b ordering the computer, so this is what i have planned up to the moment. THis build will b primarily for gaming, and running design applications.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...WishListTitle=U

any comments and help is appreciated...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* don't get an nVidia board if you aren't running SLI

* don't get 750i if you are running SLI

* don't get an SLI board with the thought of getting SLI "in the future", unless that means by next pay day or sooner

most design apps support SMP, so depending on what apps you use, it might be better to run a quad core... I can't think of any industry standard 3D/CAD app that doesn't use full SMP at some point...

as for the SLI i just got a Sli board, thinking for future upgradability, which MOBO should i switch it for???

and the rig will b primarily for gaming, and design will b just a thing aside.. nothing major....meaning that i would like to get the highest performance possible while running games.

Edited by daniel

* don't get 750i if you are running SLI

* don't get an SLI board with the thought of getting SLI "in the future", unless that means by next pay day or sooner

most design apps support SMP, so depending on what apps you use, it might be better to run a quad core... I can't think of any industry standard 3D/CAD app that doesn't use full SMP at some point...

:withstupid:

All good points.

You can add this to it

*don't buy a 700W PSU if you aren't running SLi

If you are mainly doing this for gaming performance with a single card, just grab an Intel chipset board like a P35

Edited by jammin

but wouldnt it b good to have a motherboard which is PCI 2.0 capable?? just for future upgradabiltiy????

get a P35 or P45, both have pci-e 2.0 :)

I did both and I regret it now. Listen to the man, he speaks the truth!