University Desktop

daniel

well i used ur recommendations and made various changes... this is the new setup

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...istTitle=Almost

the only thing i have in mind to change at the moment is if the 4870x2 is released for 400 bucks, take out one HD and put the 4870x2.

so as for what i have at the moment any recommendations??? is the motherboard good? and the PSU?

any help is appreciated

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the IDE dvd burners.. i just chose another one, didnt notice the IDE part... as for the 700watt PSU i got it b/c im planning on getting a second 4870 when ever i get more money.

Is there any real difference between IDE and SATA on a disc drive anyways? I don't really burn or read discs much, though I guess it depends on what you do.

The mobo he choose has only one IDE slot. Hence he would need to install one as slave and the other as master on the same IDE cable. This would slow the data transfer considerably if he uses both at the same time. Moreover, IDE will probably disappear from the computer market in not so long, like the FDDs.

so a sound card is not worth the money??? i plan on using this computer for gaming and i own the razer barracuda headset... but if there is actually no difference i wouldnt mind saving money

Depends how much you value your sound.

On board is good enough for some, others consider it inferior.

There is certainly nothing wrong with buying a soundcard.

I wouldn't be sure about a PCIe soundcard with that board layout though.

If you do go to two 4870s you are not going to have anywhere to put that soundcard due to the dual-slot cooling on the graphics cards.

A regular PCI soundcard you could put in the bottom slot, allowing dual-slot cooling for both graphics cards.

Also note the the 4870 uses two 6-pin PCIe power connectors and the OCZ has two 6-pin connectors.

If you got another 4870, that would mean using adaptors to make up the other two 6-pin connectors.

So you may want to consider a PSU with 4 PCIe power connectors if you are serious about stepping up to crossfire.

Depends how much you value your sound.

On board is good enough for some, others consider it inferior.

Onboard is good enough for a bit of music listening and some gaming, I found onboard 5.1 more than good enough, but I suppose this will vary depending on the mobo.

one question.. is there any difference between pcie 2.0 vs pcie x16 motherboards for a single video card such as the gtx 280 or hd4870?

Edited by daniel