Built A Pvc Instrument

airman

Well, if some of you know who the blue man group is, you probably might appreciate it a little more, but here are pictures:

driver side

0527081122.jpg

audience side

0527081121.jpg

It took about 80 feet of PVC and about 30 feet of wood, and lots of sweat and tears.

i'm thinking about designing plans for it and selling the plans on ebay, what do you guys think of that idea? every pvc instrument i see is different than the next.

it ranges from C2 to F3. covers an octave and a fourth basically.

edit:

here's a youtube clip

Edited by airman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm thinking about designing plans for it and selling the plans on ebay, what do you guys think of that idea?

Maybe you could sell a set to the guy who bought your air guitar... :lol:

haha wow, can't believe you remember that phil. kudos :)

anyways, i'll be puttin some videos up on youtube. plus, i'll be mixing some music with it, and i'll have those available as well. i've just gotta perfect the paddle-making, each material has a different sound and i'm spending some time with trial and error getting a good sounding material that's not too "slappy" but still gives the traditional PVC sound :)

Did you reach the right tube lengths through a bit of trial and error or with some exacting calculations?

there's a formula that you can plug in the speed of sound in inches, the tube diameter, and the frequency of a particular note that will give you the length of pipe you need to cut. when i got into the bends and stuff, that's where it can get a little tough to accurately judge how much "effective length" a 90 degree and a 180 degree bend add. i over-estimated the lengths, glued all but the last piece and chopped off a bit at a time and testing inbetween cuts to determine how much more i'd have to chop off. once i got it within my tolerance, i glued it.

how the hell do you play that? blow over the tubes like a partially filled beer bottle?

Like this (wafro optional I believe).

is probably a better example. Edited by jammin