Windows Xp Sp3

Nemo

Now that SP3 is officially back in as part of Windows automatic updates, I wanted to start a thread on SP3 to see what everyone's opinion and experience has been with the latest service pack. If you have installed it post how it went and whether you've run into any issues so far.

I elected to skip the update until I've read more about it as most of what I've seen so far says it's just a roll-up of all the updates since SP2 with some Vista-like NAC features thrown in.

Comments?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I elected to skip the update until I've read more about it as most of what I've seen so far says it's just a roll-up of all the updates since SP2 with some Vista-like NAC features thrown in.

I'm in the same boat. It seems like it's mostly just a roll-up with a few new features that I don't really feel like I need anyways. And now especially after that last minute retraction from when it was first supposed to be released I guess I'm extra cautious.

Someday it'll be nice to just slipstream my XP CD with one service pack and be done with it, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

I've been waiting for the final release before even downloading SP3, as far as I can see, it's just a hotfix pack basically, so I will just keep it to one side to make a slipstream disc that doesn't need 1GB of individual hotfixes downloaded lol...

Reinstalling Windows is like a 2 week process for me with the number of apps I use...

I have SP3 installed, mainly because I upgraded to XP from Vista recently. Unfortunately I can't really say all that much about it other than XP is so much faster than Vista, and that XP runs well in VMWare Server (When I did the switch from Vista to XP, I also did the switch from Windows to Ubuntu but I still need XP to run apps like OneNote)

I have SP3 installed, mainly because I upgraded to XP from Vista recently. Unfortunately I can't really say all that much about it other than XP is so much faster than Vista, and that XP runs well in VMWare Server (When I did the switch from Vista to XP, I also did the switch from Windows to Ubuntu but I still need XP to run apps like OneNote)

Sorry, you mean downgraded.......

Sorry, you mean downgraded.......

I was debating if I should use upgrade or downgrade. But with all my experiances with Vista, I decided that switching to a faster, more stable, and just overall better operating system was an upgrade. Downgrade has a negative cognotation.

I am not going to install service pack three, in fact, once I buy a new graphics card I am moving onto Server 2008.

SP3 has some issues here and there but nothing too major. The one thing that really stood out was that Lo couldnt connect to his Windows Home Server test PC using XP SP3, dropped it back to SP2, and it was fixed. I just love how screwed up MS has the whole Home Server project so I'm placing this one on WHS and not SP3.

One thing is I havent noticed this "huge performance boost" that everyone was so happy to write about during the early stages of development. Oh well.

I installed it and had no problems, but don't know why I bothered. It's just more "fixes" that nobody needs who uses alternative browsers and security measures. MS is pretty much done with XP, I've just shut off updates on my other XP machines.