Windows Xp Sp3

Nemo

Here's an article I found describing an issue that apparently affects only HP PCs using AMD processors - XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots apparently due to the fact that HP uses the same image to build Intel and AMD machines.

your links borked.

I think im going to have to get a VM up and running so i can try this. (running vista ATM)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KrankyOldLady
Here's an article I found describing an issue that apparently affects only HP PCs using AMD processors - XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots apparently due to the fact that HP uses the same image to build Intel and AMD machines.

I'm afraid your link: http://xp%20sp3%20cripples%20some%20pcs%20...less%20reboots/ isnt working....

Edited by KrankyOldLady

I had been using the latest Beta for about a month and the only issue on my personal PC was occasional RASMAN and DCOM errors in the event viewer. Just yesterday I installed the SP3 official and those errors have been resolved. SP3 appears to be running fine on my rig. One thing I really appreciate is not having to download 92 hotfixes and critical updates when doing a fresh install with SP2. Of course that will surely change over the coming months, even with SP3. But for now it is a nice change of pace.

The other thing I found is that the official SP3 release doesn't appear to have the gdi32.dll bug that affected some people who installed the SP3 beta depending on what hotfixes were already installed with the SP2 updates.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that you cannot slipstream SP3. Can anyone confirm that?

Edited by wevsspot

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that you cannot slipstream SP3. Can anyone confirm that?

You can create and install a slipstreamed on a single boot machine. But it will not install on a machine that has Vista on it. So the result is, no dual boot.

You can create and install a slipstreamed on a single boot machine. But it will not install on a machine that has Vista on it. So the result is, no dual boot.

Hmm, interesting kitfit1.

Just finished installing a slipstreamed version on two machines a week ago.

Then set up a dual boot with Vista 32 on the DFI and Vista X64 on the Maximus Extreme.

No issues at all.

So I guess for clarity it should be said that you CAN dual boot if you install XP SP3 first.

I tested the SP3 betas as well without issues. I like SP3. Rigs running very smooth.

Great to see ya here Graham!

Edited by soundx98

I haven't noticed a speed increase and haven't seen a post on a forum from anyone who thought it did for them, either. I'm not questioning the tests, just whether the average user will notice that their computer runs any faster.