Windows Xp Sp3

Nemo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had trouble the first time around installing SP3 gold. I was running MCE 2005 with complete updates plus the rollup packs for the media centre app. Installing the service pack the first time around seemed to hose the necessary services for the media centre app to properly run. Namely, the Receiver Service and Scheduler Service. I re-registered the services back to their rightful places, but they refused to start. I gave up and wiped my partition to start over.

The second attempt went flawlessly. Since the service pack doesn't include all the rollup packs for MCE, I had to go through all the XP updates before I could grab SP3. You can imagine after installing all those old updates, I was holding my breath when SP3 was the final update I had to install. After rebooting, I've been running stable since. :thumbs-up:

Any speed ups? On the core OS, nope. Haven't noticed any (though I'd like to believe that booting is a tad faster). But the Receiver Service (ehrecvr.exe) for Media Centre behaves a lot better at startup. Under SP2 it would max the CPU for around ten seconds. Now under SP3 it reaches 75% for a second and drops off.

I find this shocking! Someone still uses Symantec Security? :lol:

QFT. IMHO Symantec is one of the most bloated worthless AV/Internet Security solutions available.

Want some good AV - try Kaspersky or AVG.

SP3 works fine on my laptop, i only installed it as i had to format the machine and made a slipstreamed disk. Saved me at least 2-3 hours of downloading and installing updates. I have had no problems with my anti virus, avast, i dont use norton because its total junk!

Well I did experience some issues, which I have not yet tried to resolve. I installed SP3 on the desktop system that is in my sig with no problems at all. Didn't notice much of a performance increase, but it was stable and great at moving up from SP2, without having to download a ton of updates.

However, I installed it on a DELL Latitude D600 laptop, which was running XP Pro SP2 perfecly with no problems. At the restart it crashed to BSOD. It did this eveytime I rebooted and would not even allow me to go to Safe Mode. I have no idea what caused it and I installed SP2 back on the laptop, which again works perfectly. I have yet to play around and try to resolve this, so will stay with SP2 on the DELL.

GG

Edited by Great Gig

• 1 month later...

*digs out old SP3 thread*

I just installed it tonight, hoping it'd fix my Warcraft 3 problems, but it only got me into worse trouble! I was speaking with a friend on TeamSpeak / Skype before I installed it and he was hearing me a little quiet, but ok. Now after the SP3 install, every time he talks he gets the echo from me... I installed sound drivers, uninstalled them again, did pretty much anything I could think of, but the damn thing won't change...

Anyone run into a similar issue?

SP3 totally hates me too, I installed it on its final beta and the PC blue screened every single time just after the windows logo, at stock and even underclocked. Then after it was fully released I tried it again and it installed ok and the PC booted fine but no internet access at all, no matter what driver I used they all reported correctly installed and functioning properly. I'm sticking with SP2

Edited by Branjo