Serious Heat Issues W/ Q6600 G0

Alright well after some trials last night, and this morning - the CPU seems to be overheating easily again...

I set everything back to 2.4 and here is my current idle:

Core 0 - 51

Core 1 - 48

Core 2 - 50

Core 3 - 48

Still excells past 70 under load, 75+ @ anything other than 2.4.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, from what I've read through the whole thread, you have a stock Q6600 heatsink which when used is giving you high temperatures.

You tried your friends Intel E4600 stock cooler (is this in fact, the same thing as the Q6600 cooler?), and that was better?

If so my first instinct would be that the HS mounting isn't exerting enough pressure to make a good contact.

The whole Intel push pin system is a bit feeble, but easy to fit so it's hard to go wrong.

Maybe one or more the legs the pins are attached to is bent a bit, reducing pressure?

I have seen a few intel stock coolers that were JUST bad.

on the bottom where the fins meet the copper plate they were not fully attached.

if you carefuly take the fan mount off you may be able to see if its messed up.

Or the lazy way (Please note im lazy as all get out :lol: )

I picked this up from Newegg

I have this running on a AMD 6400+ BE and have been impressed with its proformance.

And for $30 hard to beat it is kinda big but does fit in mid size cases.

CPU cooler

Note you can mount 2x 120mm fans it comes with rails

Ok, from what I've read through the whole thread, you have a stock Q6600 heatsink which when used is giving you high temperatures.

You tried your friends Intel E4600 stock cooler (is this in fact, the same thing as the Q6600 cooler?), and that was better?

If so my first instinct would be that the HS mounting isn't exerting enough pressure to make a good contact.

The whole Intel push pin system is a bit feeble, but easy to fit so it's hard to go wrong.

Maybe one or more the legs the pins are attached to is bent a bit, reducing pressure?

The E4600 sink is fully aluminum, the Q6600 sink has copper on it as well as the aluminium. It seemed to me that the E4600 cooler worked better tho - wierd huh?

I'm fairly confident that the Q6600 cooler is on all the way, all 4 clips seemed to be clipped in - they all looked the same underneath...

I remember using the stock HS&F not long ago on one of my Quad rigs while waiting for my TRUE, with an ambient of around 30-32c or around 75F with full load folding and stock speeds it was running around 65-67c if I remember correctly. I would just get an after market cooler like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and be done with it....

I remember using the stock HS&F not long ago on one of my Quad rigs while waiting for my TRUE, with an ambient of around 30-32c or around 75F with full load folding and stock speeds it was running around 65-67c if I remember correctly. I would just get an after market cooler like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and be done with it....

I'll see if I can get an Ultra120 for my birthday (May). I got other things to spend money on right now (like a busted up truck) haha. What's the best fan to get w/ it?

I think maybe the obvious has been over looked. You said that your temps went up when you started over clocking, what were they before you started?

If the temps were fine before that then something went haywire at the time of over clocking. I think just throwing a new after market heat sink maybe a viable option (and quite possibly the best solution), but if the root cause is not the heat sink then you are just wasting money. Maybe its something you triggered in the bios and did not realize it. In other words if you do not find the root cause then you are buying a shiny heat sink and throwing it on only to be disappointed and still be in the same situation.

The one thing that has not been mentioned is the fan on the heat sink. When you swapped out the heat heat sink for the E4600 your temps were very much improved at that point. Now the only thing changed is the heat sink and the fan (I am assuming you did not waste time pulling the fan off the heat sink and put yours on). For a couple bucks you could throw a different fan on the heat sink and see what happens to the temps. If they reduce then the fan is the root cause, if they do not then the heat sink is the root cause. Either way running your CPU at those temps until may is crazy (I would be scared to death the thing would burn up).

Another option, although rare, would be that you possible scorched the heat sink and filled in the pores of the aluminum / copper with the garbage between them before the AS5. In this case a slight lapping job should cure it.

Of course these are just my opinions in logical thinking and troubleshooting. This is what I gathered from reading the 3 pages worth of setting and re-setting the heat sink, so i am also assuming that you got that part of the process down and know what you are doing. Anyway feel free to try out these suggestions and let us know the results bud.

Edit: All right 386 posts in my 5 years on this board!!!! I am tearing it up.

Edited by Fanatic