WHAT IF!?! I hooked up 4 Fans to...

snakieee

WHAT IF!?! I hooked up 4 Fans to 1 of the fan connectors on my motherboard.

The reason I want to hook up 4 fans to the 1 fan connector on the board is because the 4 fans are case fans and I want them to run at the same speed and so I could run the other 3 for like CPU/GPU/MEMORY/ or what ever.

Haha is it a bad idea or not.

Little info on system

MSI K9A2 PLAT.

OCZ PSU 700watt

...Need anymore info?

Thank you,

Jake

One fan is even stretching it with these newer fans, by no means should you connect more than one to a single connector and in fact quite a few people only suggest using one connector per board if you're using high current fans...

another reason not to use fan headers for the fan power is that it puts added strain on the voltage regulation of the board, fluctuations leading to instability and reduced overclocks...

when choosing a fan controller, make sure it has enough juice per channel... this is almost always quoted in Watts... if your fans don't says Watts on them, Watts = Volts x Amps.. so 12V x 0.45A = 5.4W

so that would be ok on the Zalman w/e it is 6-channel controller with a measly 7W per channel, but you couldn't run more than one of that fan...

LED fans aren't generally as power hungry as performance fans, so you might be able to run two per channel on the Zalman thing...

what you really want is a controller that can handle something like 20W+ per channel, and then you could run your 4 LED fans on one channel... I guess you could always put them in banks of 2...