Has anyone fried a c2d before?

Hey guys I've just been wondering if anyone's fried a c2d cpu cuz i'm starting to think these processors are indestructible....like does anyone know the highest amount of voltage that can be applied to these cpu's???

Hey guys I've just been wondering if anyone's fried a c2d cpu cuz i'm starting to think these processors are indestructible....like does anyone know the highest amount of voltage that can be applied to these cpu's???

I benched mine at 1.7 setting for a few 3DMark runs and superpi etc. for the forum wars. As time passed I had to keep reducing the OC until I was down from 3960 24/7 1.55v to about 3850 after about 6 or 8 months of 24/7 Folding. I have had it since the E6850 came out last summer. I am not the only person with the same results either. I have it with a stock Intel Quad core HS & F Folding at 3.6 right now....

I benched mine at 1.7 setting for a few 3DMark runs and superpi etc. for the forum wars. As time passed I had to keep reducing the OC until I was down from 3960 24/7 1.55v to about 3850 after about 6 or 8 months of 24/7 Folding. I have had it since the E6850 came out last summer. I am not the only person with the same results either. I have it with a stock Intel Quad core HS & F Folding at 3.6 right now....

really stupid question here - but why'd you have to lower your OC over time? I've been under the impression that CPU's work to the max until they die, and dont degrade over time.

really stupid question here - but why'd you have to lower your OC over time? I've been under the impression that CPU's work to the max until they die, and dont degrade over time.

I am not sure, I would either have to give it more volts which I did not want to do, or lower the OC. I know Linux would give me an error stating some kind of hardware cpu error, and it would also say it was not a software problem. I have heard of this happening over time that cpu degrades and requires more voltage or underclocking. Could be the MB I guess, I RMA it back and Gigabyte checked it out and said they could not find anything wrong so I put it back together...

My old Opteron 146 stopped being stable @ 3.0ghz, so maybe it does degrade to a degree due to voltage and temps.?

I am not sure what is going on with it, its the only cpu I have that has done that so far...

my 2500+ did this. it was stable for about 3 months @ 2.5ghz, i had to lower it 2 times and the max stable i could get after that was 2.25ghz or something like that and it still being used now. its 6 years old also and has been oc'ed the whole time so that could contribute lol.