Anyone Tried This "Folding With a Nvidia 8800"

road-runner

You use the same drivers, all the guide says to do is change the ini file so it "says" it's a 1900 series card, the actuall driver you sue is the same as always.

Btw so far the GUI and Console verison do the same thing. EUE instanity. /me continues the quest :lol:

Looks like there are tons of issues with p2723 and p2725 units atm and thoes are what I'm getting...so maybe it does work....just not right now :lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You use the same drivers, all the guide says to do is change the ini file so it "says" it's a 1900 series card, the actuall driver you sue is the same as always.

Btw so far the GUI and Console verison do the same thing. EUE instanity. /me continues the quest :lol:

Looks like there are tons of issues with p2723 and p2725 units atm and thoes are what I'm getting...so maybe it does work....just not right now :lol:

meh, I dunno. There's the disclaimer about the dx problem at the end. I'd just rather not mess with things that are crucial to my well-being like that :lol: Besides, I don't even use my home cpu for folding, so why would I bother with my gpu. heh

Again you're not messing with anything in reality, just text string that identifies the card. Hell the drivers still told me I could go SLI on restart :lol: And 3D apps run just fine with the edits, but as you said, why should you be concerned as you dont even fold@home :P

Again you're not messing with anything in reality, just text string that identifies the card. Hell the drivers still told me I could go SLI on restart :lol: And 3D apps run just fine with the edits, but as you said, why should you be concerned as you dont even fold@home :P

Hey, my PPD is higher than your PPD, sonny! :P:lol:

That's because 1 my server was restarted the other day and I just rememberd I didnt start it up again, 2 I sold my E6300, 3 My E4300's off bc i pulled its video card a few weeks back to some testing, 4 main rig is not folding atm due to me trying some rather crazy ram settings and not wanting to send in a few hundered bad units (btw set it back to test the GPU client :P) and 5, you cheat using work machines vs my useage of MY PCs only.

EDIT: You know what, this war is ON, setting main rig back to normal settings, firing up VMware, OCing the E4300 to death and booting ubuntu, making the gateway scream, bumping the server back out of 24/7/365 rock solid mode to balls to the walls make clay cry mode :P:lol: :lol: :lol:

Might even get pised at vista and make it fold here on the Acer, too bad the SMP client crashes on it more than it works if I use it as a laptop and carry it around :(

Time to make my ~100K in Dec look tiny during Feb hahahaa

Edited by cchalogamer

That'll help keep the temps down but the constant stress applied to the GPU 24/7(Assuming you run it 24/7 for max production) could severely decrease the longevity of your video card which is obviously not something you want.

Kind of like when you game? Or what about your CPU?

They are designed to handle 100% load 24/7.

So far all ive gotten out of this is some humor with stuff like this:

post-10771-1200965882_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

the folding program wont start for me saying my gpu is unsupported

Interesting, so it appears that this driver hack works to make it "run" just doenst seem to fold atm...maybe ill try heavy undercocking later on

It won't work, you're just changing the name of the card/driver so that the client won't stop it once it sees the name. Otherwise you're still going to have the same problems running it through the 8800 architecture, and even the 2900 architecture, both of which are much different than the x1800/x19xx series (Just a guess, unified shaders). Why do you think they haven't released a 2900 client?

Sort of like putting on air-pump-em-up muscles and challenging your local bad. biker to a fight... look strong, so that he won't immediately turn your down, but still get whooped. :P

Edited by The Unforgivin