Californian Judge Orders Illegally Modified Honda Civic To Be Crushed

road-runner

I agree fully Kash. He probably gave into pressure and consented to the search. It could have been appealed and the transmission evidence thrown out due to it being obtained unlawfully, but it's a litle too late for him now :P. I wonder if they're just using him as an example.

Regarding those deaths... that's why I'm fixing my land yacht. A civic can slam headfirst into that thing, and the worst that'll happen is that I need to replace the pumps and alternator along with the front end.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'm gonna laugh when this guys sues them for the cost of his car

I think that whole attempted auto theft thing soon after will shoot that lawsuit in the foot, it reinforces the possibility that the trans form the civic was stolen.

Personally I would assume there's more to this than the story we're reading, chances are there's a dislike of this guy by local law enforcement for some reason, possibly related to his use of his car. Even so, this is an insane punishment for a first time "offender."

Let's face it "officers noticed his Honda's illegally modified exhaust system." humm let's see, did they use their Xray vision to see he had removed his catalytic converter? Last time I looked many aftermarket exhaust systems are approved for use in CA, so I'm not sure how they were able to stop him for that with the possible exception of a noise violation. Even so a warning usualy comes before action on such a voilation (talking about the initial reason for the stop, not if his cat was removed, which could easily be seen in a visual inspection that they apparently didnt do. Afterall there's no "charge" here other than illegal racing according to the article.

Also what does this mean for people who build their cars for both track and street use? They want to do thigns the legal way and still get out on a track and enjoy the hard work they put into their car. I guess the massive amount of tracks in CA should hop on a lawsuit, afterall this is sure to reduce revenue if track goers must use a second vehicle and tow it to the track just to have a little fun.

All incidents such as this are going to prove is that the police in that area are living up to the reputation they have in the street racing community as jerks and will only cause them to loose the support of the average car modder who does NOT participate in street racing events due to their fear of loosing their own car.

[me thinking out loud]

I had a discussion about this a few weeks ago with a friend, if street racing was a big issue around here (rare even though we dont have many tracks in the area) I would think a good suggeston would possibly be to ALLOW street racing once a week in ratating schedule on certain highways with supervison by EMS and law enforcement. Require cars to meet certain safety guidelines and charge a low entry fee. Chances are the cost of that tactic would be far less than the manpower to try and stop people from racing. Sure it's not a perfect solution, but it's an idea. Kinda like building a skatepark in the city to keep skateoarders off stripmall sidewalks. (Of course ideally building a dedicated track would be better, but that would require far more startup funding...then again start as described above building funds over a few years then decided if the investment in building a track is worth it...)

[/me thinking out loud]

Oh well, I hate a riced civic as much as the next person, but honestly I cant agree with this approach to the situation.

As fun as it is to see them turn a civic into a convertable Miata, that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. If a fiberglass hood and sway bar means you illegally race I must be Vin Diesel.

BTW the compactor operator was hot :lol:

ZOMG A REAR SWAY BAR DON'T ARREST ME!

post-14548-1196037646_thumb.jpg

As fun as it is to see them turn a civic into a convertable Miata, that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. If a fiberglass hood and sway bar means you illegally race I must be Vin Diesel.

BTW the compactor operator was hot :lol:

ZOMG A REAR SWAY BAR DON'T ARREST ME!

Actually, having your exhaust dumped like that probably is illegal in commiefornia. :ph34r:

The laws about searching cars are different then houses/etc. Cops CAN search anything in plainview. They just grab a mirror and look at your exhaust. No cat converter is illegal in MOST states, especially Cali. There was a lot more then just a stole transmission here, but a whole ring of stole parts, including several shops that got shut down IIRC for using, surprise, stolen parts. If the parts don't belong to you, it doesn't matter that they were crushed...

The laws about searching cars are different then houses/etc. Cops CAN search anything in plainview. They just grab a mirror and look at your exhaust. No cat converter is illegal in MOST states, especially Cali. There was a lot more then just a stole transmission here, but a whole ring of stole parts, including several shops that got shut down IIRC for using, surprise, stolen parts. If the parts don't belong to you, it doesn't matter that they were crushed...

They didn't know the stuff was stolen. He was caught for stealing cars after they crushed the car. Providing evidence instead of pure conjecture for your claim of stolen parts would be nice too.

My transmission doesn't have a VIN on it but it's not because it was stolen, it's because I took it off before it was installed in my car (I had it replaced a couple years back). I didn't want non-matching VIN numbers. If I was in Cali, they'd call it stolen. :rolleyes:

Actually, having your exhaust dumped like that probably is illegal in commiefornia. :ph34r:

...and many otherplaces, not to mention no cats or baffles doesnt help :x

No emissions testing ftw :)