i r n00b

yoshi02

That CM690 looks really nice. I especially like the large fan on the front and the extra audio and USB port placement. I think I'm going to have to wait until it goes on sale before I can buy it though. ;)

That's what I said, if you need a review of it, check it out: http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Coo...690/index.shtml

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That case really does look amazing. :drool: Now to think of my fan placement in that beast... It has 8 fan openings, but only comes with 3 fans. :O

Okay, here's my finished wish list. (link) Although, I'm not sure if I am ready to spend that much money on a card. Zerox mentioned that it wouldn't be much of an upgrade anyways. Anyone second that? :unsure:

Edited by yoshi02

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I finally finished my first build and overclock. Ended up sticking with the same 7900GS, but I did mod it a bit. :D If you guys have any questions/comments/suggestions I'd like to hear them. Enjoy!

Case: Cooler Master CM690

Power Supply: Rosewill RP500-2 500w

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

Processor: AMD 4800+ 2.5GHz, overclocked to 2.85GHz

Memory: 2GB Mushkin DDR400 RAM

Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB SATA

Video Card: NVIDIA 7900 GS

Monitor: Proview 19" LCD

Mouse: Logitech G5

Keyboard: Logitech G15

Headset: Altec Lansing

Closed, running:

img4273ch7.th.jpg

Open:

img4280pz0.th.jpg

Modded video card: (yes, that is an old CPU fan; and yes, it works awesome!)

img4289sf1.th.jpg

I did listen to two suggestions from you guys. One was to stick with the 7900 for now, and the other was the case (which I love :D). I was also taking suggestions from three other forums, and they got me going in the AMD direction. As for the power supply, I chose it myself. It had good reviews on Newegg and jonnyGURU (linky). Other questions/comments/suggestions still welcome! :D

I have to say, I am amazed with the review from JonnyGuru! :O It seems like an awesome PSU considering the price it's sold at (45$ at the Egg). The case is killer though :D If I was to build a new rig right now, I would definetly get that Coolermaster CM690.

I still question the AMD decision though, as the Intels are the same price, but a lot faster...

Well, I am not a big overclocking fan (yet! ;)), so I only OC'd it to 2.85GHz. I could probably get it to 3GHz if I tweaked enough, but I am happy with the performance as it is now. From what I have read, the Intels do overclock easier and are more reliable. But in price-to-performance at low overclocking speeds, it seems AMD was the better choice. The entire thing only cost about $500 (not including the video card from my old computer).

Oh really? From everything they were saying on other forums, it seemed like AMD was the way to go. I guess I should have checked back here before making the final decision. Ah well, it is what it is. I'm happy with it. Maybe next year I'll upgrade to an Intel motherboard and processor.

Amd used to be the way to go until recently.

Any C2D Intel processor costing the same amount as a AMD processor will spank the shiz out of the AMD..

Pretty much a 2.0 ghz Intel C2D will spank a 2.4 ghz AMD...

just how it goes now..

but enjoy the new AMD PC