i r n00b

yoshi02

First of all, I have been lurking around these forums for a while. You guys know what you're talking about and don't hate on the noobs, so here goes...

This is my first time building a PC from scratch. My current POS is under my profile for this site... <_< I have been saving up for quite a while now, and have a few parts picked out. I would like to not exceed $600, and went with AMD because of such a huge price difference. Tell me what you guys think. :D (this setup doesn't include a hard drive, disk drives)

Gigabyte AM2 mobo: link

AMD Athlon 4400+: link

2GB mushkin RAM: link

600-Watt PSU: link

8800GT: link

Case: To be decided

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all, welcome abord :)

Second, may I improve that computer a little bit, staying in the budget guidelines? ;)

E4500 - 128$

A-Data 2x1GB Extreme Edition - 63$ - 15$ MIR = 48$

Gigabyte P31-DS3L - 79$

Antec Earthwatts 430W - 70$

PNY 8800GT - 270$

Grand Total - 595$ :)

The Intel system will be a lot more powerful for the money, but also, it will be a lot easier to overclock if you want to try that out. The PSU is now 430W instead of 600W, but the quality is a LOT better. This PSU will be able to handle the 8800GT and the rest of the system well, but it's not an Ultra. The Ultra X-Connect's have a bad reputation amongst the enthusiast community ;)

first of all, welcome abord :)

Second, may I improve that computer a little bit, staying in the budget guidelines? ;)

E4500 - 128$

A-Data 2x1GB Extreme Edition - 63$ - 15$ MIR = 48$

Gigabyte P31-DS3L - 79$

Antec Earthwatts 430W - 70$

PNY 8800GT - 270$

Grand Total - 595$ :)

The Intel system will be a lot more powerful for the money, but also, it will be a lot easier to overclock if you want to try that out. The PSU is now 430W instead of 600W, but the quality is a LOT better. This PSU will be able to handle the 8800GT and the rest of the system well, but it's not an Ultra. The Ultra X-Connect's have a bad reputation amongst the enthusiast community ;)

X-Connect is the American SUV of the car world... :lol:

That's a much better system, also you can swap the 4500 out for a faster one later... win!

Coming from someone who is currently running an AMD system with an Ultra PSU, avoid that if at all possible. I love my AMD system, but this was also purchased before the C2Ds came out, I wouldn't bother with an AM2 based rig right now. And as far as the Ultra PSU, it's fine if you aren't OCing much, but seeing as that's the likely cause of my held back OC, I couldn't recommend anybody ever purchasing one.

Just looking at your current rig though, why not keep the 7900 for a bit longer and get a much better CPU? The 7900 can still handle current gaming without much issue, and I find mine only lacking in the Crysis beta (And by lacking, I mean it can only push medium, which still looks great), so unless you're dead set on Crysis immediately you may be better off waiting till the next generation of cards comes out before upgrading that part.

First off, thanks for all the quick and much needed help! That RAM, motherboard, and processor look nice; Intel it is! And, how does this PSU look instead? (link) It has a better price, (maybe with good reason <_<) wire management, (Yea, I'm lazy :P) And it just looks so cool. B:) Now about the case. I had posted a topic about a case on another forum, but they couldn't come to a conclusion, so it's up to you guys! Tell me whatcha think: link