What games are you buying this Nov?

WhenKittensATK

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone thinking DX10 doesn't make a difference should pick up the November 2007 issue of PC Gamer. They have an article in there that is appropriately titled "It's Finally Vista Time" and show why it's time to get onboard with DX10. The games they specifically cover are Crysis, Age of Conan, Hellgate: London, Lost Planet, World in Conflict, and Company of Heroes. Since we're talking about Crysis right now, here's a snippet:

"The DirectX 10 features start with Parallax Occlusion Mapping (the next big buzzword after normal mapping) for very detailed and realistic surface textures, and then we have things like 'God Rays,' advanced post processing, improved soft shadows and post-processed high-dynamic-range lighting, and higher-quality motion blur on characters.

"DX10 also has an atmospheric gameplay feature that is called Battledust, spawning atmospheric 'thickness' based on combat intensity and action, and characters feature wrinkle normal maps to provide a more realistic facial animation. In multiplayer, the highlight is that grass is synchronized when bending in DX10, and also, we offer a 'time of day' setting for DX10 setups, allowing gamers to set up sessions that start in the morning and go through a full day cycle.

"We know [Vista] had its problems entering the market, but we think that absolutely it's time to upgrade to DirectX 10. Overall, DirectX 10 [helped us build] Crysis [the way] we dreamed about [it]."

- Cevat Yerli, CEO, Crytek

I'm not going to go write out what was said for the other games, and of course there were pictures to go along with it. You'll have to pick up the issue, or sneak a peek at a magazine stand if you want more. It also reviews all three pieces of The Orange Box in that issue, so it's worth picking up :)

Hellgate: London

Oh yes...Hellgate: London looks FAR FAR FAR better with DX10 effects and "extreme" shader mode. The DX10 seems to run smoother overall with less hitches than the DX9 version too. :)

World in Conflict owns my computer so I can't say DX10 is a must for it, I had to turn it off and a decent number of settings to get it to run really smoothly. :(

Oh yes...Hellgate: London looks FAR FAR FAR better with DX10 effects and "extreme" shader mode. The DX10 seems to run smoother overall with less hitches than the DX9 version too. :)

I don't have DX10 capability yet, but that's what I've heard, that people are getting better performance with Vista+DX10 than XP+DX9 using the same video card. I did hear that Vista+DX9 ran better than both though, but the difference between DX10 & DX9 was marginal, and thus worth using DX10.

Then it looks I can brush off the dust on my Vista Ultimate install disc :D. Dx 10 time may be short lived, 10.1 is coming to town :P. I wish Nvidia would hurry up and release their 9800 series be4 the end of Oct. After Oct. no more step-up with EVGA :(.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Then it looks I can brush off the dust on my Vista Ultimate install disc :D. Dx 10 time may be short lived, 10.1 is coming to town :P. I wish Nvidia would hurry up and release their 9800 series be4 the end of Oct. After Oct. no more step-up with EVGA :(.

10.1 doesn't add anything new, so no need to wait.

it does actually add more capabilities in graphics programming, but almost all of them seem to be made available by making graphics card capabilities mandatory... Shader Model 4.1 (DX10.1) vs Shader Model 4.0 (DX10) I'm not sure about yet...

I wouldn't wait for a "DX10.1" card though... that'd be like waiting for a Vista SP1 mouse or something :lol:

No other racing game fans out there? I'm looking forward to the (previously October) release of NFS: Pro Street on November 15th!

Honestly, I think Need for Speed just went down-hill after Porsche Unleashed. Hot Pursuit 2 was fun, but things started to get a little iffy beginning with Underground. They really moved away from racing and toward marketing and pandering to the lowest common denominator... I think I'll go dig up my copy of PU now. :D

I just pre-ordered Unreal Tournament 3: Limited Collector's Edition, and Crysis

I might get BioShock... I'll probably get HL2:EP2 at some point... I might get Portal... but these can all wait... UT3 and Crysis I've been waiting for too long already lol