11.6 Million Xbox 360s are faulty

road-runner

ROFL.. sorry but that almost made me lol for real. You're going from MS to Sony and hoping to have fewer issues? Sony is the king of deceit, shotty production and manipulation. I can only imagine the issues the PS3's are going to have, and Sony probably won't opt to give extended warranties. The PSP comes to mind. They used cheap screens and thus dead pixels were present in nearly 100% of models. To "remedy" this, Sony would issue a repair IF the unit had more than 14 (I think it was?) dead pixels. So it was fine that the product was faulty and broken, so long as it was "too" broken.

Sony FTL.

Well, ive had my ps3 since launch and it's just getting better and better. The console itself is very well made and feels solid and heavy. The best thing about the ps3 is how regular the updates come out. And no, the updates are not just to fix bugs, they add so much more, like:

* Settings

o [bD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [bD/DVD Settings].

o [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].

o New for 1.81: The method of setting [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] under [Display Settings] has been improved.

o [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].

o [bitmapping (Super Audio CD)] has been added as an option under [Music Settings].

o The [Test Camera] option under [Accessory Settings] has been changed to [Camera Device Settings].

o [Printer Settings] has been added.

o [Media Server Connection] has been added as an option under [Network Settings]

* Music

o You can now edit CD information.

* Photo

o A new type of slideshow display pattern has been added.

o You can now use zoom display for images.

o You can now trim images.

* Video

o New for 1.82: Support for playback of AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) format video has been added. *

* High image quality encoding method used by Blu-ray Discs and other media

o Super-White and x.v.Color output are now supported.

o Downscaled output of Blu-ray Discs is now supported. When 720p is selected as the video output setting of the PS3™ system, Blu-ray Discs that were recorded in 1080p or 1080i resolution can be played in 720p resolution.

* Game

o You can now move copy-prohibited saved data for PlayStation

Edited by g1ng3r

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with all this "Sony is better than Microsoft" or vice versa? I remember the horror stories form the PS2 and the PSP when they were out. I've owned my PS2 from its second year of release and its had no problems at all. That being said, I've also had my Xbox from the second year of release with no problems, as well as my Xbox360 for just over a year now with no issues, either. With all the bad press Microsoft has been getting from their faulty units, there's no doubt in my mind they have already done a lot to remedy that situation. In an industry that can barely break a company even, it's bad for business to have to shell out $1 Billion+ dollars to fix a defective product, especially when the product you are paying to fix isn't even profitable. We will see fewer and fewer defective consoles in the coming months. We can hate Microsoft all we want, but in the interest of Capitalism, it hurts their bottom line to have to keep fixing these things, which leaves them with only two choices: Stop making the product, or make the product better. That, my friends, is the American way.

Guest ecthlipsis

I don't hate MS at all. They have never done anything to make me hate them. Overall, I think Gates and MS are pretty honorable for such a massive business.

Sony on the other hand... The list is rather long.

Sony BMG rootkit

PSP dead pixels

PS2 blue disc error

PS2 failing lasers

and most of all...

AllIwantforChristmasIsaPSP.com. That was enough to make me hate the company for life, regardless of what else they might do outstanding in the future. Their response was especially appalling, as instead of apologizing they shrugged it off saying something along the lines of "Sony just released the most powerful gaming system in the world, do you really think people are going to stay mad over something this insignificant?" GG...

Oh, and it's amusing to note that Haggen-Dazs, for some reason, now owns that domain. Why they want "AllIwantForChristmasIsaPSP.com" as their domain is beyond me... lol.

@ Ginger, I hope your system lasts years and things work great. I personally won't do anything that give Sony a cent, though. Same goes for EA after the whole BF fiasco...

ecthilpsis you really are just a MS fanboy. i bet your mad because you are one that had a ps2 fail on you. well so did everyone else and who cares if it wouldnt play blue discs because unless you were using gameshark or playing ps2 launch games it didnt matter. MS on the other hand just puts out crap, my freinds on his 3rd 360! and there is some guy out there that has gotten 12! 360s in the last year. i duno what that guy does but it looks like MS didnt do any product testing with gamers in mind

I guess I may just be lucky, I haven't had any problems with any console I have ever owned.

My NES still works to this day

My PS1 still works

PS2, fine, save for a couple of boot errors on a couple of disks, which is probably down to scratches anyway

Xbox, think it still works, not hooked it up for a few months since my last desire to play Steel Battalion

X360, worked last night! only problems I have is the heat from it as it is in a bad position anyway and occasional problems getting on live, but that is probably due to torrents running all the time :P

• 3 weeks later...
at least their doing something to fix it unlike my ps2 and all the other ps2's that broke conveniently after the year warrenty :(

Yeh i agree now on my 3rd 360 which i got repaired for free due to the warantee extension. At least i dont have to shell out another few hundred bucks like i had to twice for my ps2

Just a comment on the service turnaround with the new 3 year warranty:

I sent my 360 in less than 2 weeks ago and was told it would be 4-6 weeks before seeing a new or repaired unit. I got my new one today, hope everyone else sees the same quickness :thumbs-up:

My brother phoned support today, and arranged for a return, but it started working for about 5 mins... which was spooky - but now it's back to the three red lights.

It gets shipped to the European Repair Centre on Monday :)