Surge Protection; what do you use?

sdy284

Surge Protection  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use to protect your PC from surges?

• Surge Protector
    • UPS
    • I have a whole-house surge protection system
    • I just unplug my PC when it storms
    • I just plug into the wall / power strip & hope for the best!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a UPS, but everytime the power went out it never kept the computer on. It was even a good one with about 45 minutes worth of juice in it and I only plugged in the tower an monitor to it. I think it was poor software, maybe. Then I had a power surge that blew through it and my whole 'puter leaving me with a case and a video card. My TV was destroyed, also.

Lesson: Pay your insurance!

6 Belkin Surge Protector, plugged into a 4 way MicroMark. :)

Use to have a Belkin UPS, but that died. Battery went from lasting about 15 mins to about 0.5 seconds... POS...

Only ever had a single power cut here tho, so not that bothered. :P

Right now I just plug the notebook into a Monster Home Theatre surge protector. I do have two nice Optiplex UPS products at home from when I had my home office rolling, but I need to sell them. They are just so darn heavy to ship :(

Right now I just plug the notebook into a Monster Home Theatre surge protector. I do have two nice Optiplex UPS products at home from when I had my home office rolling, but I need to sell them. They are just so darn heavy to ship :(

Monster Clean Power is awesome as an automatic voltage regulater. I am not a big HT guy, but I have been thinking og gettting an appropriated rated one for the power consumption of my rig. I nee one of those Kill a Watt testers to see what I am really pulling. I am sure it has gone down significantly since I dropped my TEC for air cooling.

I've got one of those Monster Power jobbies as well, with twelve different outlets and all sorts of circuitry to clean up the power, it even has two LED displays to show input power and current output, as well. It seems to do very well, I noticed the audio was a bit clearer after plugging all my stuff in. Maybe a bit overkill for some, but my region in Arkansas has nasty storms, can't risk my expensive kit.

um... ALL of my PSUs have built in surge absorbers ... don't yours? (that little yellow box)

Didn't make a difference for me at the time. Maybe lightening hit the wires outside. Not a bad idea tohave some backup, though.