News: Maxis abandons SimCity 5

sdy284

OCC News Post

Computerandvideogames.com Article

100x20-digg-button.gif

More details have emerged on Electronic Arts' upcoming SimCity sequel, and it looks like original developer Maxis has little or nothing to do with the project.

SimCity Societies, as it's being called, has been handed over to Caesar IV developer Tilted Mill Entertainment, who will be taking over development duties from Will Wright's Maxis.

EA officially confirmed the game in a chat with Joystiq. According to an unamed EA exec, the reason behind the Societies name is that it's "completely different from SimCity 4, so they're trying to come up with something different than just calling it SimCity 5."

Fans are unexpectedly not very happy about the developer shift, posting a barrage of heated messages on Tilted Mill's official forums.

Responding to the debate, President & Director of Development Chris Beatrice posted an official statement:

"...I do not want to mislead anyone: This SC is not a realistic urban simulation, which I understand, to many, represents the heart of what SC is," he said. "No one is blind to that. And if you're just completely turned off, even angered by the mere notion of any game called 'SimCity' that is not a detailed, realistic urban simulator, I absolutely understand that viewpoint, and absolutely respect it."

"I do want to say, though (with no insult intended to die hard SC fans)," he adds, "that we are absolutely thrilled to be a part of this venerable series, are extremely proud of what we have put together, and make no apologies about what we have managed to create. And while our past experiences (including contributions from many of you) certainly inform all our ongoing efforts, this SC is its own unique creation."

First looks at the game in US Games for Windows mag show a fully 3D world, with a colourful environment and a Theme Park-style fairground bustling in the foreground.

Caesar IV was admittedly a bit average as far as city builders go, so let's cross our fingers and hope it jumps in to gear to live up to SimCity fans' massive expectations.

We've currently hammering EA's PR department with the CVG bat phone, so expect more SimCity 5 gubbins very soon.

:( :( :(

You can read more about the next SimCity version here:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messagevi...p;enterthread=y

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160151

It sounds like a case of Championship Manager/Football Manager going on here. Maybe Maxis will do what SiSport effectively did and release a sequel of their own designed to be a sequel as they want it? Maybe. Fingers crossed, eh?

It sounds like a case of Championship Manager/Football Manager going on here. Maybe Maxis will do what SiSport effectively did and release a sequel of their own designed to be a sequel as they want it? Maybe. Fingers crossed, eh?

I hear that. Wouldn't be the same without Maxis.

I hear that. Wouldn't be the same without Maxis.

:withstupid:

i'm really not looking forward to it at all, especially the other two articles mentioned that they're going to be "dumbing the game down" for lack of a better word because it got to complex in the previous version.

I personally loved SimCity4 and it's complexity

Well, at least the game looks nice :P

I can understand why Maxis wouldn't want to work on it right now. They've got a much bigger project still in the works: Spore. The game has already been delayed several times and I'm guessing they don't have the resources to work on another large game at the same time. Maybe after Spore is done Maxis will work on SimCity 6 or something along those lines.

fixed for accuracy most likely :P

:lol: subtle! I was rubbish at Sim City 4, but I always tried my best! Not that it did much good. It was reasonably taxing for my GeForce 3 Ti500 at the time!

I really liked SimCity 4 :)

I might have to give it another crack someday soon.

Not sure what to think of this one though. Suppose I'll read some reviews when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jully 2007 issue of GFW has an exclusive preview of SimCity Societies (10 pages of info and screens!), and I'm actually looking forward to it even more now. I'm glad they're going a new direction. Simply "recreating" SimCity over and over again with updated graphics gets boring. If you're a SimCity fan, I highly suggest you check out the article because I think you may change your mind...it sounds (and looks) pretty dang sweet.

Meh, in its own way it might be pretty cool. but it is most deffinetely NOT the simcity that all the fans came to love. you cant zone you cant control realistic city options, power water etc, its not really a simulation anymore. ginger bread houses, candy canes and crap just doesnt get me too excited.

though certain parts do look cool about it.

but its deffinetely not the old Simcity. i wish they had just made it a different game instead of simcity. ive always loved the simcity games, i loved it for what it was. i really hope Maxis comes back for simcity 6 lol

Idk if im going to spend money on this or not. i bought simcity 4 the very day it came out i was so excited. this im just kinda meh which just makes me sad =/ i want my old simcity back.

and I know change is sometimes good and great, but im still going to miss the old style. that they completely destroyed