Did AMD kill ATI?

Andrewr05

ATI on the backshelf ??  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Did AMD kill ATI?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT SURE
    • I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll vote anyways...

Guest ecthlipsis

Both companies were getting stomped on already. They just decided to hold hands while they got raped, and made it a bonding experience. I'm sure they'll come back with something, though, and this certainly won't be the end of the company at all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that.

What is your take on the merger?

overall gain. it does 2 things. first off it gives AMD a chipset maker / integrated graphics maker to deal with other than VIA (for those that don't know AMD holds almost 60% control / ownership of VIA). AMD hasn't released a true desktop chipset since pre-athlon XP days. it also helps realize a concept that was once tried and once FAILED. the media GX chip from Cyrix was a brilliant low cost product that integrated the CPU and GPU. and I can see it coming back from AMD in the very near future.

as far as how this has effected the 2900 series of cards... it's obviously a jumping off point. a technology preview platform and that is ALL. they've proved they can do DX10 (a totally useless and shortlived waste of time) along with proving they can do more CPU assistance than Nvidia is ready for. and both issues say more to the real market than it does to the near sighted / single minde gamers.... aka the most important target market for ATI.

now for those whining about drivers... 90% of those with problems have nvidia or intel chipsets... wonder why ATI is struggling... it's like putting a ford engine in a chevy. wake up and smell the wolrd of business.

Haven't been here in years, just started reading through some things again a few days ago..

Figured I'd post...

I don't see it as AMD killing ATi at all... They are corporations, which ultimately involve someone making money. They will do what they have to do to make money... just like a prostitute will do what she must do to make money or a bum will hit himself in the face with a club to make money. (Maybe not the best analogies, but I would assume they're understandable to most users).

The 2900 launch may have sucked... but like another user said above, didn't nVidia have a horrible launch with the FX series junk? I recall that stuff bombing pretty badly.

The 2900 is a decent card, just not what it SHOULD be. Considering both price point and performance, it seems more like a middle to high end car, not TOP of the line. ATi would be smart to put out something that could crush it to retaliate.

As for driver problems and such. I've used both nVidia and ATi. I was a nVidia user for awhile owning a TNT, then a GeForce 2, then a GeForce4... I always loved trying out beta drivers and officials, you name it. I thought they made a great product, but its not like the drivers were never flawed... I switched to ATi when my GeForce 4 underwent a unfortunate death(fan died, chip overheated to destruction almost instantly). I purchased a Radeon 9500. I was floored by the card, for the price, nothing could touch it on a performance or visual basis. I used the card with absolutely NO PROBLEMS till I bought my 9800Pro as a cheap upgrade. My 9800Pro(which sadly is still in my system) has never given me a problem and to be perfectly honest. I love the ATi drivers, never an issue, work great, install easy and I can't complain about a new version every month.

I would really like to see ATi reveal something great, as they've impressed me thus far with their products. I've used them in just about every system I've built since I bought my 9500 and everyone has been pleased(and I never got any "help" calls, so that means no problems!).

Over-all(aside from the crappy new amd.ati.com site, ati.com site was much better), I think the merger could have a positive out-come... just obviously not yet. Although I do agree with someone who said early that nvidia and AMD would have been a good mix(since nvidia made one of the best AMD motherboard platforms).

No, granted the HD2900XT isn't what it should have been, but both companies have their ups and downs, most significantly Nvidia's FX series, but then ATI's X series wasn't great in comparison to the GeForce 6xxx series.

When it was the 9xxx vs FX the 9s came out on top, X vs 6xxx the 6s won, XI vs 7xxx was less clear cut, however if I was buying a card at that time I would have gone for an X1900/X1950. I've owned bth Nvidia and ATI cards (who hasn't tbh), and prefer the nvidia drivers, just found them simpler than ATIs effort.

I can't really comment on the latest midrange cards, but the <8600s seem to be pretty weak :S ATI isn't dead by any means, its just lagging slightly. As always, only time will tell.

I think ATI is doing a great job in the budget market. I have an X1950Pro, not necessarily the total budget card, but a good and cheap alternative to things like a 7900GS/GT/GTO/GTX.

AMD/ATI is doing a decent job IMO, they probably have a delay because of the merge of the companies, which will take a lot of the resources (human and financial) available, and therefore couldn't go all-out on the high end cards I think.

I personally think that ATI was dying anyway. In the past I would occassionally pick up an ATI card on a build but would end of with nothing but problems. I always use top of the line products and I always end up back at NVidia!

:withstupid:

ATi sucked before AMD.

ATi sucked before AMD.

is that fan boy i smell?

seriouisly a pack of short sighted, uninformed, clueless chimps who see the x2900 as an all out failure. try offloading cpu work to your gpu with your 8800 cards guys... great it games better but thats about it. and last time I checked the world didn't revolve around gaming... nor does the the business of making $$$$

ATi sucked before AMD.

is that fan boy i smell?

Ever so slightly...:lol:

Before AMD, ATI were doing just fine. I don't get this whole fanboyism. If there isn't any DECENT competition, don't EVER expect a manufacturer to fight to stay at the top. The strong competition between ATi and NVIDIA is the reason the graphics card market is so darned good. Without it, you have an effective monopoly, which leads to high prices and slower progression.

Go figure.

I think yes. ATI is just getting pwned on the DX10 card front.

I'm yet to see a proper DX10 test using the new ATi DX10 hardware cards, so I think this comment may be a little unsupported. Especially as the CoH DX10 test has almost crippled the 8800 series and the 8600 series can't really do DX10 at all at acceptable frame rates