Did AMD kill ATI?

Andrewr05

ATI on the backshelf ??  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Did AMD kill ATI?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT SURE
    • I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll vote anyways...

When you think about what business is really about, is this even a relevant question. The only people that are saying, "nothing to see here," are the enthusiasts and gamers. They never claimed to try and compete with the GTX, but the GTS. How many people are buying GTS vs GTX; I would say the majority. Where the money really comes from is the mainstream market, not the hardcore gamer. Maybe ATi has willingly given up the fight for dominance in the highest end market, but don't think for a moment that they are going to truly suffer from this. I think the only real drawback is from the power consumption compared to the GTS. This effects the decisions of the manufacturer agnostic, but not the fanboys.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think yes. ATI is just getting pwned on the DX10 card front. Oh, and don't even get me started about Crossfire.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Crossfire a better platform than SLI? Eg. less bottlenecking or something? I forget.

I voted no.

Either way, don't expect ATi to bow out. They will be back. NVIDIA had a similar issue with the 5 series...they were laughable...but the last laugh is on ATi at present. Shame really, as the image quality on ATi cards is supposedly better than the equivalent NVIDIA. We'll see soon enough. Nobody stays at the top too long. Look at AMD/Intel for gaming: AMD were leading for gaming chips until "recently".

Hold on to your hats ... well, maybe in a good few months!

• 1 month later...

I think it wasa good thing that they joined forces. Sure there are a few hiccups at the start but as for what to expect from the developers in the future the concept of whole new technologies opens up.