What do you use to backup?

kendellrt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually use an online alternative. I have XDrive and it has a built in backup feature that will store all your BU data online in a 20gb space I have. It only costs me $4.95 a month for it so it wont break the bank and if something happens like a house fire or something my important docs are still same. Just an idea for you.

Very similar to what i use i am a Beta tester for this new online backup company that is in development, all i can say right now is they definatly know what they are doing :D

• 2 months later...

A Backup Strategy... You mean there is logical and effecient way to save everything? Where was I when everyone else was let in on this secret!

In past I use to backup every so ofter to CDs, and then to DVDs but eventually I bought an external hard drive as I was tired of having to having to shuffle through a stack of discs just to find the one file I was looking for. However even using the external hard drive became a pain in part due to the amount of time and effort required to backup my files using copy/paste. To avoid this annoyance I only backedup my system before and after a fresh install of windows, which turned out to be a huge mistake by the way, when one of my hard drives failed... Audios 2 Months Worth Of Data!

If anyone has any suggestions for a good way to backup my files to an external please share... (preferably software based with a snyc feature lol)

FYI: Ocassional Backup + Windows Vista + ~800GB + 3 Drives in Raid 0 = "CrackHead's Backup Strategyr or Lack There Of"

When I get around to it. I'll use a spare HD to clone my C drive. In the meantime I use a folder-run utility to manually back everything up to an external drive, and also to a portable HD I keep in another building. I also often run windows file and settings transfer wizard and back that file up to the external drives and also upload it to a Gmail account. I have my entire music collection backed up to Gmail also. And since I recently got a multimedia player, that also has my music, videos and photos. Have I reached redundancy yet? :D

SyncBackSE. There is also a freeware version available. This program allows you to do automatic backup as well as synchronize folders.

Thats what I use. Every night it backs up any new files on my secondary internal hard drive to my external hard drive. And if I delete something from the internal drive, it removes it from the backup. So anything I know I want to keep and cant be replaced I put on the secondary HDD. So if there is a fire, hopefully I will be able to just grab the external drive.