What do you use to backup?

kendellrt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have much of a backup 'strategy', maybe I should think more abut getting one.

I tend to keep multiple copies of important stuff between my RAID array and other internal drive.

Periodically (or should that be sporadically) files will get moved to DVD or CD.

I got into the anal habit of backing up my stuff this way after i lost a drive with about 90% of my files on it after a format :( since that day i have been strickt on my backups as i am not willing to take that chance again. For my work related files, and office files its daily backups to an offsite backup facility which has about 5-10 copies of my data floating around in their system so the odds of losing it are virtually 0.

I have a 80GB external drive, which has the unusual habit of somehow randomly loosing my data (i.e, I delete the stuff by accident / think that I don't need it anymore). Now that I started using SyncTool for Windows (AFTER I lost all my data in the RAID-0 incident <_<), the files seem to stay on there ;)

I have three PCs at my main computer desk, so all of my important stuff is kept on more than one. Every year or so I go through and burn the really important stuff to DVD. Mostly music, videos, and pictures. Music can be replaced, but somehow I doubt I'd be up for ripping 400 CDs to hard drive again. :P

I don't like Norton Ghost because if your drive fails and you need a new one it has to be the same size or Ghost won't let you image it. I also highly doubt that my hard drive and my external drive will both fail at the same time.

I don't have much of a backup 'strategy', maybe I should think more abut getting one.

I tend to keep multiple copies of important stuff between my RAID array and other internal drive.

Periodically (or should that be sporadically) files will get moved to DVD or CD.

Me either. I used to use cds, but now I just can't be bothered really... erm, does unplugging during a thunderstorm count as a strategy?

Guest ajmatson

I actually use an online alternative. I have XDrive and it has a built in backup feature that will store all your BU data online in a 20gb space I have. It only costs me $4.95 a month for it so it wont break the bank and if something happens like a house fire or something my important docs are still same. Just an idea for you.