Proving you don't need a huge PSU to run a Hi-End System

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought fall along the line of why push it to work at 100% load just to keep up. Does it not become more inefficient as the load and power supply temperature increases.

Agreed....

My Intel system is a Asus P5E-VM with a Q6700 and 2gigs of ram and a 9600gt and I have a Corsair HX520 watt PSU...

Although it does run fine and according to the Corsair PSU calculator it is perfect it does run short in some instances...

If I overclock the CPU past 300x10 the PSU hits full load heat...if I clock it to 3.8ghz the PSU gets really hot especially during idle...

I wouldnt dare game with it at that ghz as at 300x10 a 2hour session of gaming it gets just as hot...

now if I clock the 9600gt to 750 on the GPU the PSU struggles to keep up at the CPUs 300x10 OC...

now if all I do is replace the PSU with a 750watt unit I can clock the CPU to 380x10 and the video card to 800/1300 and the PSU doesnt even get warm...:)

Dr_Bowtie, that PSU should run your components with EASE! The PSU getting hot does not necessarily mean it's bad, my Enermax Noisetaker II 600W used to get real hot as well running a Q6600 @ 3.5 and a 2900XT overclocked and overvolted. As a comparison, I put a BeQuiet Straightpower 500W into the same system (not the 100W difference), which ran it without any problems and stayed cooler than the Enermax. I guess some PSUs just run hot?

I think my Corsair VX550W only uses about 200W or so. (E7200, 3850, single HDD)

Later on I plan on upgrading to a 4870x2, about 4 HDD's in Raid 5, two in raid 0, overclock my cpu to its limit as well as the video card and I'm still sure I will get by.

Another factor people should consider is that a high quality power supply can perform even better at load (say a 600W giving out 650W at load). Not all though.

Dr_Bowtie, that PSU should run your components with EASE! The PSU getting hot does not necessarily mean it's bad, my Enermax Noisetaker II 600W used to get real hot as well running a Q6600 @ 3.5 and a 2900XT overclocked and overvolted. As a comparison, I put a BeQuiet Straightpower 500W into the same system (not the 100W difference), which ran it without any problems and stayed cooler than the Enermax. I guess some PSUs just run hot?

you would think so but the 750watt PSU definitely made the difference in overclocking to get me where I wanted to be...maybe there is something wrong with the HX520 but I doubt it...it's just the 750watt unit allowed me to clock the Q6700 and the 9600gt at the same time and be fully stable where as I couldnt get stable with the HX520 anywhere near those clocks...?

Mhh... that really IS weird! I had no such problems on a Q6600 and a 2900XT as mentioned before, and I think we can agree on the fact that the 2900XT pulls A LOT more power than a 9600GT, no? Very interesting, have you thought of RMAing that HX520?

I have run 2 GTX260s, 4gb of DDR3, 1 HDD, 1 Optical drive, EVGA 790i FTW and a Q9450 at 3.7GHz on a Corsair TX750. Under load according to my meter I am pulling well over 500watts on that slim system. Thats 3D06 runs not really intense gaming. The discharge air is noticeably warmer (Still silent BTW). Just for reference Although It seems like it needs more juice

• 2 months later...

This thread's pretty old, but I have found something I think contributes quite well here:

I've recently moved to an X48-DQ6, a Palit 4850 and a Palit 4850 Sonic (more on that in another thread). Needless to say, I had Crossfire on my mind, but also needless to say, I was a little concerned about the abilities of my current PSU, a Tagan 480W. But it's been handling my 88000GTS with an admirable amount of headroom, so I figured "what the heck, go for it!". I started by dropping my Q6600 to stock speed and voltage thinking that would create some headroom, but I'm happy to report that the whole setup runs fine with my CPU OC'd now too! :)

Some figures:

Prime95 (4 instances) Load: 360W AC = 288W DC

Prime95x4 + RTHDRBL: 455W AC = 364W DC

Gaming Load (X3:TC 1600x1200 8x/16x): 350W AC = 280W DC

(Figures assume 80% AC/DC efficiency which is probably overly generous for this PSU, but I like my numbers to be "worst case".)

System Specs:

Q6600 @ 3.2 (400x8, 1.325v)

Gigabyte X48-DQ6

Mushkin 2x2GB DDR2-800 5-4-4-12-2T @ 1.8v

Palit 4850 Sonic + Palit 4850 (reference) in Crossfire

160GB Hitachi SATA

80GB Hitachi SATA

Pioneer DVR-111D DVD-RW

Thermaltake Armor Case

Zalman ZM-MFC1 6-Channel Controller

4 low/medium speed 120mm fans