Proving you don't need a huge PSU to run a Hi-End System

Do you have the U01?

I will try and dig up some efficiency figures if I can.

Honestly, I'm not sure which version I have. :unsure:

Are how different are the versions, anyways?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For now I have my 500W BeQuiet, that should last me for a while still, but if worst comes to worst, I still got the Enermax Noisetaker II 600W kicking about in my room, that I got back from RMA (never tried it since :lol:)

AMD quotes a peak power of 215W as far as I know

specsheet.jpg

With overclocking this can go up of course, hence the 8-pin connector (2x6pin is limited to 225W I think?)

If someone finds reliable looking tests figures for actual card power draw, then that would be good to see.

There are some power figures at [H] but they include the whole system as well.

Check out this thread and read the quote I posted from ExtremeTech. They used the same number - 215 watts - provided by AMD but they measured an 80 watt increased power draw from the wall over a GeForce 8800. So that works out to about 64 watts increased power usage on the DC side assuming 80% efficiency on the PSU.

Very nice reports thank you "jammin" for ther thread and everyone else for adding their views and stand points also.This really gave me some new info on things.Keep up the good work and thanks everyone again.Good Day.

Anyone else have a lower powered PSU they would be willing to test in their main rig?

Even if you have a powerful PSU, but have a watt meter, I'd be interested to see any measurements :)

Oh, and I should probably add Fueler's Folding Rig into the mix (can't believe I forgot it).

229W at the plug comes out at around 170W assuming 75% efficiency. :)

Edited by jammin

My God the size of this thing. Another reason you do not need one this big it will not fit in the normal PSU spot in the case. Looks like I am going to have to remove the bottom fan or try to move it to the other side of that partition its on.

DSC00120.jpg

My God the size of this thing. Another reason you do not need one this big it will not fit in the normal PSU spot in the case. Looks like I am going to have to remove the bottom fan or try to move it to the other side of that partition its on.

DSC00120.jpg

I'm guessing that the PSU cage and the partition are riveted in place.......I think I would try to remove the cage and relocate the partition as far forward towards the hard drive cage as possible. Good luck ....that's a big sucker :lol:

I would take the max amount of watts measured and get a PSU that has double that amount. So if I was drawing ~300w, I would get a 500-600W PSU. Here is my analogy for this reasoning. You can get a 4 cylinder car to run at 100MPH at 6000RPM or you could get a V8 and be at 3000RPM doing the same speed. I would put my money on the V8 lasting a lot longer as long as long as its a good quality engine... Oh yea, a good quality PSU is important too.

I agree that you don't need a crazy 1000W PSU for the average high end machine (ie. Dual core CPU, 8800GTs/GTX card...) but I wouldnt suggest getting a 400W PSU when you know you are drawing 350W.