Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

I have noticed that running the vm under vista is a fair amount slower then booting into linux. Frame times are probably 30% higher. Also I am constantly having issues with the time of the virtual machine being off. This is easily fixed by syncing the clocks, but I would rather not have to deal with the issue. Lastly, running the VM while gaming is a disaster. I suspect this has to do with the core priority of the vm. Basically, I have to shutdown the vm when I game. This is a really nice trick, but it is not piratical to run 24/4.

I have read that the reason Ubuntu only uses like 80% of the cpu is because vmware is using the other 20%. And you are right about it being a lot slower than a dual boot or single Ubuntu install (no vmware)

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that running the vm under vista is a fair amount slower then booting into linux. Frame times are probably 30% higher. Also I am constantly having issues with the time of the virtual machine being off. This is easily fixed by syncing the clocks, but I would rather not have to deal with the issue. Lastly, running the VM while gaming is a disaster. I suspect this has to do with the core priority of the vm. Basically, I have to shutdown the vm when I game. This is a really nice trick, but it is not piratical to run 24/4.

Even changing the priority of VMware to low won't help with gaming....you have to shut it off. Don't understand why it isn't practical to run 24/7 though? When you're done gaming just turn it back on. I can understand using a dual boot will allow the client to run faster (I just ordered the parts for two dual core Linux rigs)

but for people that would like to fold whenever their PC's are turned on but still need to be able to use them (for anything but gaming) then running the client in a virtual machine is a rather elegant solution :foldon:

I ment that the on/off thing with the VM is a pain for me.

Well......I won't argue with that! :lol::foldon:

Edit: I think I saw (somewhere in this thread) that Hardnrg figured out a way to make starting the client a one click operation (if you did hardnrg would you mind sharing it with the rest of us Linux noobs :lol: )

i missed it too lol... i just open up a terminal and type:

cd f<tab>/F<tab> // this autocompletes to: cd folding/FAH

./FAH

and that's it... so i'm not really that bothered about making it fully automatic, it's only like 15 more keystrokes after i login

Edited by hardnrg

i missed it too lol... i just open up a terminal and type:

cd f<tab>/F<tab> // this autocompletes to: cd folding/FAH

./FAH

and that's it... so i'm not really that bothered about making it fully automatic, it's only like 15 more keystrokes after i login

I'm too lazy for all that....I just saved it to a text doc on the desktop...then copy and paste to the terminal B:)

why not? go for it. What i mean is this: to launch f@h in windows all you have to do is click the .exe or shortcut right? well with linux its: launch terminal -> navigate to F@h dir(multiple steps) -> type ./fah Lets count the number of steps...