Anyone know anything about boats?

cdoggown

Hi kids!

My wife and I purchased some property down south some time ago and I would really like to eventually get a boat so I can do all the fun things guys with boats can do (fishing, snorkling, diving, etc.).

The problem is, I dont know a thing about it. I could really use some help getting a basic idea of what I should be looking for. These are the guidelines that I know I need to stay within -

1. Needs to be no larger than 30' in length

2. Needs to be able to be trailer hauled

3. Will be used exclusively in salt water

4. Will need to be a model that requires little maintenance

5. I wanna catch me a blue marlin!

Can any of you super-gurus help me out here???

Thanks!

C

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will need to be a model that requires little maintenance

The definition of a boat (especially one in saltwater) is "a hole in the water that you pour money into".....believe it I know :lol:

The definition of a boat (especially one in saltwater) is "a hole in the water that you pour money into".....believe it I know :lol:

I can verify this. I worked on ferries that held 700 passengers...albeit commercial, at least the engines were getting regular use. If they are not used regularly, problems start.

Outboard can reduce this if it is raised from the water when not in use. However, salty air will still destroy the engine, so expect more frequent servicing than a car in general.

And what boating experience do you have? I would advise learning how to tie a few simple knots and steering before buying anything! Steering is easy once you get used to it. Getting a straight "wash" line is tough at first - more so in a 600 ton boat :lol: It took me a while to get the hang of steering a large vessel - smaller ones are WAY more responsive!

:withstupid: They say that one of our happiest days of our life's is when we buy a boat and the other happiest is the day we get rid of it. I am glad I got rid of mine, (26' twin 140 h.p. outboards) I used to go off shore fishing every weekend that the weather would let me and if it would not I would go bay fishing instead. Its a constant battle with the salt water on boat, body, back and gear.

Edited by road-runner

:withstupid: They say that one of our happiest days of our life's is when we buy a boat and the other happiest is the day we get rid of it. I am glad I got rid of mine, (26' twin 140 h.p. outboards) I used to go off shore fishing every weekend the weather would let me and if it would not I would go bay fishing instead. Its a constant battle with the salt water on boat, body and gear.

Yeah.....owning a saltwater boat that doesn't require constant maintenance is a fantasy B:)

I agree with Fueler and road-runner. I love having my boat and can't wait to sell it this spring. If you want a low maintenance saltwater boat the solution is simple - rent one!

Or rent a guide with the boat and let him take you to catch some fish if fishing is what you want to do :) or rent as Nemo said.

But if you really want one go for it, its a fun experience until it turns into more work than pleasure.

Edited by road-runner

Well I'll be a little more use to you than these other people. They are right when they say that there is maintenance. Although for a trailered boat not as much, the engine will take a beating from the salt, but one way to help fight that is to wash it down with fresh when you get it home also run the engine with fresh water running through it,they sell thing that go over the water intake that hook up to a garden hose, besides that you are going to want to get the oil changed in it once per season, if it out board you are going to want to buy yourself a grease gun and lube up the teleflex at lease once a month(a friend of mine's steering froze up completely because of that, and it was a pretty costly repair.) Invest in a good boat cover. Even though it is a trailered boat I would still put bottomkote on it. And make sure you keep the boat clean and protect the glasskote. As far as engines go look into Honda Four Strokes from what I hear they are supposed to be really good, also evinrude and johnson. Now when it comes to boats you have a big variety and it all depends on what you really want to do. Look into Boston Whalers, Parker, Mako(if you want to spent too much). But really look for something that suits you, are you looking for day rides or do you want to go out and spend the night on the water with the misses? Are you looking at doing a lot of fishing or more "pleasure cruises"? What you should do is find a boat show in you area and look at all the different saltwater boats they have, talk to the salesmen about what you want. Good luck. BTW what is down south if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the info.

Down south is Belize, Central America. We will be living a block off the Carribean Sea.

What kinda of internet connection you getting out that way?