Dvd To Harddrive

DECwakeboarder

Just adding a second vote for AutoGK, I love it.

Use DVD decrypter first, then use AutoGK to compress it. Check out www.doom9.net (i think) for some good tutorials and tools.

Silk: I've never had any problems with AutoGK getting out of sync, and the quality is good too. You set the size, pick the codec (xvid or divx) and let it rip.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if DVD Shrink gives up (decrypting) on newer DVD releases, then just use RipIt4Me.

RipIt4Me downloads the necessary applications (Shrink, DVD Decryptor) to do what you're looking for. Plus it's completely free.

I use RipIt4Me, and I'm glad I do. It works fine and I haven't had a problem yet. :)

I have a quick question, does AutoGK suffer major audio/video sync problems ??

It doesnt suffer any problems while you are watching it on your computer (or using your TV as a computer monitor), but when you encode it and burn it to a DVD it does suffer some problems and it is out of sync. I would either just use your TV as a computer monitor or just watch it on your computer, that way there are no problems with it being out of sync.

first off it's not illegal if you OWN the DVD itself. it IS illegal to rip rentals.

next up is a simple (I mean to the point where my 5 year old uses it) program called Super DVD ripper. you can DL a demo version and try it for a few weeks. if you don't like it... oh well you didn't spend any $$$ yet. sync problems in the app can occur when folding is running, but other than that I haven't had a problem with the latest divx codecs loaded.

Sounds good...I'll have to give those all a shot. And yes, this will be used to backup all of my current DVD library so that I don't have to bring 80+ DVDs and cases to college with me.

I did the same thing, though 8 years ago when I was starting college, it was CD ripping and not DVD :P But I ripped my whole CD collection (200+) to my hard disk. CDs have a way of "walking off" in dorm rooms, but not if they're in your parents' basement :P

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds good...I'll have to give those all a shot. And yes, this will be used to backup all of my current DVD library so that I don't have to bring 80+ DVDs and cases to college with me.

Brilliant idea. Once I get my laptop I'll have to pick up a 500GB hdd and a external case to do that. I probably would never have thought of that.

Brilliant idea. Once I get my laptop I'll have to pick up a 500GB hdd and a external case to do that. I probably would never have thought of that.

Make sure you have a program that can play the files. If you rip with DVDShrink, you can use PowerDVD to play it. If you use DVD Decrypter, you have to convert it to a single file and then you can play it normally with windows media player. Here is my tutorial on how to do that: DVD to Video Clip Tutorial

wrong... if you use DVDDecrypter, you can play the Video_TS folder with PowerDVD, or if you ripped in ISO mode, you can use Daemon Tools to mount the image and select the virtual drive as the DVD-Video source...

wrong... if you use DVDDecrypter, you can play the Video_TS folder with PowerDVD, or if you ripped in ISO mode, you can use Daemon Tools to mount the image and select the virtual drive as the DVD-Video source...

Ah yes, Daemon Tools, that's too much work :-/ lol. I always burn in ISO mode, but I guess I'll start doing it the other way.

well, mounting a DVD ISO file takes me about 2 seconds, whereas converting it to Xvid/OggVorbis takes an hour or so...

awxDTools gives you context sensitive menus (right click iso, mount)