Dvd To Harddrive

DECwakeboarder

What is the best way of taking a DVD and ripping it to my harddrive? I have plenty of HD space (up near 1.5tb) that I could possibly be using, and when I go off to college I would much rather be able to just bring a PC instead of 100's of DVDs and CDs. Thanks in advance all.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That usually isn't possible due to the RCE/CSS protection on the DVD... Thus, decoding that protection is considered illegal :(

CSS scrambles the data on the DVD in a random format according to a key, making it impossible to take out on your own...

Edited by The Unforgivin

:withstupid:

Use a DVD ripping program to make .VOB files out of each movie. I personally use DVD Shrink and then use a program like PowerDVD to just load the .VOB files from the hard drive. I find it to be the easiest program to work with, especially if you don't care much for saving space/compression.

i use dvdfab its great takes everything into a iso either you can do movie only or entire disc without downsizing to a 4.7gb disc which is awesome b/c i hate those programs that just cuts the quailty in half. than i use alchol 120% virtal drives to play them in power dvd seems to work fine but if each full movie is around 7gb it can take alot of space.

Dvd Decrypter works great, then use dvd shrink to take away all the extra languages if you have a huge file and want to burn it to a blank dvd...

You need to read a little bit better. Thats not what he wants, he wants everything to be on his computer so he does not need disks at all.

How do I encode it with something (say DivX, or H.264 or w/e...)?

If you rip the DVD into .VOB files then you can use AutoGK to convert it into a DivX file.

AutoGK is the easiest way to get from the DVD source to an mpeg-4 variant like DivX, XviD, H.264...

it's definitely a good way of making a movie jukebox from all your dvds... that's what i do... saves having to mess about with bringing 200 discs into the lounge...

I have a quick question, does AutoGK suffer major audio/video sync problems ??

Call me a n00b :blush: but I actually purchased a program called FairUse for 15 bucks. Excellent program!!!

Oh snaps, I just noticed they jacked up the price to 20 bucks... :ph34r:

Edited by silkster