Socket 775 Oc Competition Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kit,

What kind of cooling setup are you running?

I can't pass one hour of OCCT at 4.5ghz on my E8400 because I get an overheat error.

I'm water cooling. Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra with dual 120 RAD.

Kit,

What kind of cooling setup are you running?

I can't pass one hour of OCCT at 4.5ghz on my E8400 because I get an overheat error.

I'm water cooling. Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra with dual 120 RAD.

He is using phase change, it's in his sig....

Yep, phase. It has been for the last couple of years or so. I would have thought you would of known that Wev.

By the way, is King still keeping this thread updated ?

AFAIK he is but sometimes he misses new post, I had to PM after a couple weeks to update mine...

Kit knows I don't read sigs. unless it's to help some lost soul figure out what's wrong with his/her computer :)

Anyway Kit, glad to see you're hanging around here and contributing content, and nice clocks on ur rig.

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO SuperPI is just SuperPI. Really doesn't mean a hill of beans in the big picture. But it's an easy benchmark to run.

I will rerun it when my ambient gets back below 27C. I won't post any benchmark unless it is Prime95, Orthos or OCCT stable.

The way I see it, Super Pi is used to see how fast you can run a computer while still being accurate (to 1 million or 32 million decimal places)... if you don't take your computer beyond stable, how can you truly know your fastest stable OC?

So, for me, SPi is a measure of varying degrees of beyond stable... pushing the speeds higher and the times lower has really taught me a lot about what changes help to increase performance, what is needed to keep stability, and gives me a solid idea of where the limits of stability lie so I can be confident that my highest OCCT/Prime 24+ hour OC isn't teetering on the edge of stability...

SPi is more of an overclocking tool than a pure benchmark... but at the same time, the bench times are handy to see if you are doing something right/wrong when you make changes