Ps3 And Wii

Mister_Webmaster

I was at the GameSpot After Hours event last saturday night, and I got my hands on a PS3 (A Development kit, mind you) and was playing Auto Assault

I come from a background of PC Gaming, and I was expecting graphics at least as good as a PC @ 1080x1024 with everything turned up to the max, which was pretty close. I know the cars in Auto Assult had realistic reflections, but all in all, it was still pixelated, especially on edges of the cars, or other places where there were dark lines on white sorrundings.

The PS3 controller felt like a cheap piece of plastic. It's half as heavy as the PS2 controller, and they removed the plastic around the R2 and L2 buttons, which flip up under the controller now when you press them. What really nailed the PS3 in the coffin for me was when I made the big center building collapse, and my frame rate dropped to LESS THAN 1FPS! I couldn't believe on a dev box that would happen.

They didn't have any Wii's to play on at After Hours, but they did have a demo of it on stage, and I have to say, I was really impressed. They were playing mini games with it and had one baseball minigame where you try and hit the ball as far as possible, and you actually had to swing the controller to hit the bat, they had another one where you had to toss a ball (similar to the track and field sport of tossing those lead balls) where you had to spin the controller and let go when it was going to fly. This demo has made me definite on buying a Wii.

If you go to the Gamespot After Hours website and click on The Future is Now, then you can watch the demo of the Wii in action, and it also looks like you can see the PS3.

EDIT: I took pictures with my phone, and uploaded them to my gallery

Edited by Mister_Webmaster

I went to Digital Life this past weekend. I saw the PS3 and Wii in action as well. I didn't bother trying out the PS3 because, well, I just don't like Sony :P But my brother got his hands on a Wii and he said it was a ton of fun, despite the fact it was running a football game (he's not a big sports game fan).

I remember people complaining about the PS3 controller there as well :P

When are people going to learn? Xbox360 will be king. It's inevitable.

:withstupid:

That's why I bought myself one a long time ago :P

Oh yea, they had the Superman Returns game setup at the show. OH MY GOD. That game was SOOOOO much fun. I'm definitely getting that game first day it's released :thumbs-up:

When are people going to learn? Xbox360 will be king. It's inevitable.

Hooray for fanboy comments in a thread that has nothing to do with Xbox360! :glare:

that being said...

I'm awaiting PS3 to be released & see how it does before getting one. And if i don't like what i see, i'll get a 360

Hooray for fanboy comments in a thread that has nothing to do with Xbox360! :glare:

that being said...

I'm awaiting PS3 to be released & see how it does before getting one. And if i don't like what i see, i'll get a 360

Come on sdy, you didn't really expect a thread about consoles to not have a fanboy comment, now did you? :P

I'd still take a PS3 over any of the other two, but I'll be sticking with the real gaming king, the PC.

Come on sdy, you didn't really expect a thread about consoles to not have a fanboy comment, now did you? :P

I'd still take a PS3 over any of the other two, but I'll be sticking with the real gaming king, the PC.

If i wasn't addicted to the Gran Tourismo (PS2) & Forza (Xbox) ...i'd stick to PC...but i LOVE those games and i can't wait for their newest versions

Im not bothered, most of the kinks will be worked out before I ever even touch one...

My console history:

SMS- My first console ever!! Wonderboy kicked butt!!

Genesis-I was playing this very regularly untill all my friends were playing with some new thing called a playsation? :huh:

N64- very briefly played and said "wow this controller sucks"

Playstation- Progressed from genesis to this and played this untill evrone on earth had a playstation 2...

Playstaton 2-Current system, still amazing graphics, I need to go buy more diverse games though...

I only play racing and shooting games :glare: