Seagate Buys Maxtor

cold_snipe

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also clay makes a good point...  except for the part about the hard drive being the single most important component with moving pieces that spins as often as it does.  the more it's used the more likely failure IS.

602734[/snapback]

yay, i love when bigred agrees with me....makes me feel all warm inside ;):blush:

"maxtor" of the early 90's has not built a single drive since they aquired Quantum. all they did was slap thier lable on a quantum drive. and to me that was a SMART thing to do. top performing drives in the market (also rated for the LONGEST life) are the Atlas series drives, formerly by Quantum.... and they kicked the snot out of Seagate for years... and still do. I just hope that seagate hangs up thier engineers and uses the ones left over from quantum to build drives RIGHT.... seriously every seagate I own clicks and makes noise, windows and OS X keep telling me a few of them are failing... yet of ALL the Galaxy series maxtor's I have... 3 have failed (own over 100 of them right now). and I think I've lost 1 or 2 diamond max drives over the last 6 years...

"maxtor" of the early 90's has not built a single drive since they aquired Quantum.  all they did was slap thier lable on a quantum drive.  and to me that was a SMART thing to do.  top performing drives in the market (also rated for the LONGEST life) are the Atlas series drives, formerly by Quantum....  and they kicked the snot out of Seagate for years... and still do.  I just hope that seagate hangs up thier engineers and uses the ones left over from quantum to build drives RIGHT....  seriously every seagate I own clicks and makes noise, windows and OS X keep telling me a few of them are failing...  yet of ALL the Galaxy series maxtor's I have...  3 have failed (own over 100 of them right now).  and I think I've lost 1 or 2 diamond max drives over the last 6 years...

603207[/snapback]

My 2.1gig Quantum fireball hard drive still works...its outlived about 5 systems so far :blink::lol:

huh, that's interesting. I thought more people like Maxtor. I guess I was wrong. I haven't had any drives die on me yet. I have a 40GB WD that makes an ear-piercing high-pitched whine when I plug it in, so I assume that's on the way out. Good thing I don't bother to plug it in unless I absolutely have to.

I don't know if this news is a good thing or a bad thing. As someone already pointed out, it could go either way.

Guest Raven65

I've owned them all fromMaxtor to Fujitsu. Personally Maxtor has given me the least amount of problems so far. I did have the most problems with segate and WD. I also haven't owned a segate for about 8 years though either. Why 4died one me in one year and that was enough for me. Recently I did have a problem with my Maxtor 200gb sata, rma'ed it and it took a month to get it back to me, THEY SAID THEY WERE ON BACK ORDER. (caps sorry.) SO due to the crappy rma service i wasn't going to buy maxtor anymore. So I don't know what to get for my next but my experience with segate was horrible.