New System. Need Input!

kirky_D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, kinda wierd if you get an sli board then get an ati card.. then you have to get 2 new cards, or a new mobo and a new card if u want dual gpu later on.

603402[/snapback]

It would only be wierd if he were actually getting an SLI mobo... <_< read.

Thank you for making that point obvious Bleeble. The majority of the people in this thread never grasped the fact that he wasn't going with SLI/Crossfire. :bah:

Edited by FxXP

I am actually going with the 6800 GS. Can't afford the 7800 at the moment. And when i want the extra perfermance (in like a year or 2. lol) then i will get another 6800 gs and put them in sli.

Gonna stick with the sandy, as has been mentioned here and a few other threads i have read they are identical so no point in changing my mind on that.

As far as maxtor goes, i have 2 drives in my current setup both maxtor both 80GB. One has 2 mb cache and the other 8 mb. Neither has done anything but work. Never had a problem with them. so i will stick with my choice. Thanks for the opinion though.

If i can find mushkin ram in the uk that is fairly cheap then i will probably get some of that. But i think that might be unlikely. By cheap i mean

Hi all!

Building a new computer in the new year. I just thought i'd come here and ask you all if there are any weaknesses in the system, or perhaps a better option on some components.

Here's the rig:

AMD Athlon 64 (ADA3700BNBOX) 3700 Skt 939 San Diego (stock heatsink for now)

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D SKT939 DDR400 PCI-E SLI ATX

OCZ Premier Dual Channel Kit 2x512MB DDR400 PC3200 CL 2.5-3-3-7

Connect 3D X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E DVI VIVO

Maxtor Diamond Max 10 200GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB Cache

Antec TrueControl 550w PSU with 5.25ins drive bay control panel

NEC ND-4550 16x DVD

It looks like that mobo is an SLI board, did I miss a motherboard change along the way?  I was just pointing out that there is no reason to spend the money on an SLI board if you aren't going to use SLI.

603542[/snapback]

it isn't sli, it supports two cards so you could run 4 moniters is all, NO SLI on NF4 Ultra-D

Not anymore.

get a 7800GT

^^i beg to differ with that and i think alot of other members will agree with em that you need to pair, Nivia cards, with Nvidia chipsets, and ATI chipsets with interl, or ATI chipsets.

if you have an Nforce4 mobo, and a nvidia videocard they will just fly,  you also dont have to worry about possiabel driver conflicts.

good pick on processor, and motherboard, you wont be dissapointed.

602994[/snapback]

Get out of it ive tried many ati card on my mobo and all have worked fine you dont need to pair like with like thats crazy talk.

I wish people would stop saying that as I did not have problems with my Neo2 and the Gainward 6800GT. I think people have to use their brains for a change and use their BIOS settings to fix their issues, not blame it on the chipset. Here's a hint that you will find on most nForce3/4 motherboards: It's called NV/ATI Speedup. If the card is crashing, disable the option. DONE.

Edited by FxXP

The speedup was disabled on mine and it still had problems. When I called BFG they told me personally that the 6800 series has known issues with the nForce3 chipset.

It's "ATI/NV" right? So why is there only a problem with the 6800 series cards. It isn't just that setting. Just because yours is fine, doesn't mean that it isn't an issue. My F-150 never had a problem with my Firestone tires either.