My Future.... I Need Some Help

Bionix

yes they do.

they get astronauts out of all parts of the military and also civilian life. as a Civvy you can even apply to be an astronaut comming from a pro airline career, or from a scientific field of research. the best way is to be a scientist and have an idea for a research propject that needs zero-gravity. your project may get to go and if youre REALLY lucky, you'll get to go with it!...but for reality just be happy that they chose to study your bees in space and you get a report back form the scientists that went with it....now..the only problem here is they want a degree in a science or engineering. and as stated on their application. you must posess "above average physical health"...so basically be an exercise hound. dont have to be a beefcake..but if you can show them the beginnings of a "six-pack" then youll get their attention.

now about my previous post here...i just got back from a 2 day overnight from work and it was about midnight:30...i was tired and didnt really have the time to explain in full just how i really felt about the misconception that airline guys make huge coin. at a regional where im at now, if i wanted to make $100k a year...i'd have to stay here fo r15 years. then my payscale would just touch that. over at a major, like say southwest, youll make $100k a year in your 5th year there...and the maximum? only $165k a year as a 15 year employee captian. other airlines? none of them surpass $200k anymore like they used to pre 9/11. (delta used to be jsut over 300k as a 15 year cpatian) we strufggle jsut to get into the industry and then struggle just to stay ther and advance in seniority. ONLY WHEN WERE OLD do we make big money. and that pays for the time we made $h!t. for so long before. i've gone broke twice just to get to this point and im 31...only now making some decent money. ill be a junior captian soon and onl =y then will i make $60k of wich a 401k has to be started as well as other index fund investments..so really its not enough and not alot to ensure a future of retirement. so if anyone really wants a good explanation of whats required to do what i do or what others do ill be happy to help explain it, just PM me.

the problem with the flying part of any job is noone knows what it really takes to properly go do it or be properly involved until they get there, and then they wish they did it a different way.

now about the military, i agree with some respondents here. I had no idea what it took to go flying for a living but i DO know anyone can do it if they have the funding or ability to take out ALOT of $$ in student loans. So, the best way to see if youre AF material and have them pay for it? go to college right now. join the AFROTC. then do the full-time military gig AFTER you graduate. the ROTC is a guidance program..much like a school-counselor is but more like one that actually cares :) it's like a baseball farm-team for officers. they help you get better and understand whats reqwuired of you mentally and physically so you can enter the military knowing a bit more about what youre getting into and can make better decisions on what direction to go. oince done with college with that degree in science or engineering....you can take the aptitude tests and hopefully qualify for a flight slot. then go into training. but think of this. if youre a smarty guy and have always done well and better than most others in school...be prepared to meet ALOT of guys just like yourself if not smarter. cause thats the kind that military flight slots attract. people who cant stop at just that. if you really want to fly for a living your whole life...get into the cargo wings of the military. get large heavy cargo plane time and then get out and go to a major. they like you. theyll hire you. and in the military youll make coin flying the cargo ships. (ie: C5 co-pilot crew make 70-80k tax-free room/board paid for on base.)

Story Musgrave the astronaut who has the most hours spacewalking in ...umm..space has a resume thats a billion miles long. hes a Dr. and worked in a hospital, has degrees in computer engineering/science/masters in english literature, engineering, etc. the guy can't stop taking classes and going to college. has to always learn. and thats how he go to tgo into space more than once. thats the type they like. SUBSTANTIAL overachievers.

Edited by robAP

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I got sick of reading after the first page. Anyways, I suggest going the college route. You can always try it for a year or a semester and join the Air Force if it's not for you. Either way, the possibilities are truly limitless in the business world.