My Future.... I Need Some Help

Bionix

I'm currently a senior in highschool, going through the process of figuring out what I want to do.  I'm being pulled in two different directions and I feel like I don't have enough information to decide which way I want to go.

I can see myself

a. studying business and submerging myself in the business world

570049[/snapback]

I'm also a senior in highschool, and i thought about joining the air force to fly, but many times you do not get to fly and you become assigned to something else. my brother has a friend in the air force and if you figure his pay out he makes 3.50 an hour, that's just sad. go with the business world

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

College ROTC is actually a great idea, because when you enter airforce afterwards u will have a higher rank, and beyond that already know alot of things. I was in JROTC for one year at my highschool, it wasn't my thing. But it sure had alot of valuable information and training.

ROTC is great training and you go in as an officer.If you decide not to go into the service you have learned some valuable skills. The training you get is great and like a few have already said the airlines look to former military pilots because of the training they recieve. You have to look at the long term picture not just the short term. Being a former military brat i can say the change of station every 2-4 years is difficult but...I have seen things in this world that many of you never will see except on tv. I say go for it. If your girlfriend doesn't want to follow or be a part of your life there are many more out there. Good luck !

I would say go for the Air Force. If you have the rare opportunity to become a pilot, you will have a great life. The only problem nowadays for pilots is, once they retire from the air force, it's hard to get picked up by a commercial airline since they're all laying off employees and going bankrupt. BUT, just having "Air Force pilot" on your resume automatically puts you at the front of the line of any job you apply for post-retirement.

cokeman:

I don't think I could ask her to "follow" me around. What would she do? Stay on the base and wait for me to come home every day? How could she possibly have a job since we would get relocated every 2-4 years.

Lo:

I'm only goin in the AF if I can fly or navigate. If there's no way to know that I hve good odds of doing so, I'm not going to join.

Its easy, If you think she is the one ask her after you finish basic. If she is your spouse you will have a home on whatever installation you are stationed. There are many a servicemans spouse who works but what about marrying having a family. What will she do during the day when you go to work if you dont take that shot? There are many companies that work with the spouses of servicemen and women to help with transfers to another location. She could move up through the ranks of many of the companies that work hand in hand with the military. There are plenty of options if you want to go that way. Not trying to guide you to the service in any way its not for everyone. Good luck with whichever path you take.

I say join the airforce...Once you get your training, your career options will open up alot.  Commercial companys like to hire ex military pilots and commercial pilots make huge coin.  Do it while you are young.

570084[/snapback]

yup.. i know someone who is now working for bowing.. (if thats how you spell it) making 6 figurs.. :)

I don't think I could ask her to "follow" me around.  What would she do? Stay on the base and wait for me to come home every day? 

570336[/snapback]

Hmm, well if you're a businessman do you think this won't be a possibility? Do you think you're going to be by her side all the time? It'll probably be about the same.

I say join the airforce...Once you get your training, your career options will open up alot.  Commercial companys like to hire ex military pilots and commercial pilots make huge coin.  Do it while you are young.

570084[/snapback]

I must step in.

i AM a commercail pilot..and we do NOT make huge coin. IF youre lucky enough to get on with places like Southwest...(the only major airline thats hiring)..then you can EVENTUALLY make huge coin. Heres the deal on flying. If youre joining the Air force out of high school...you will NOT be able to be a pilot as youre hoping. air force pilots need a degree from a college/university before they get selected for a fligh tslot to train for. preferably a science/engineering degree. these pilots make the best kind. if you join righ tout of HS, you will be a crew chief or a form of mechanic or support group for these planes. Go to college. study engineering. work out and run alot. and then be an air force pilot. thats how it works.

if your eintested in more info about how it really works and about how much coin we commercial pilots REALLY make....PM me and ill tell you. but after all the cutbacks from 9/11 and the layogfffs...all those big paychecks disappeared with their pensions. tehres alot of unemployed broke pilots on the street...and lets not discuss the divorce rate among pilots!!

I must step in.

i AM a commercail pilot..and we do NOT make huge coin. IF youre lucky enough to get on with places like Southwest...(the only major airline thats hiring)..then you can EVENTUALLY make huge coin. Heres the deal on flying. If youre joining the Air force out of high school...you will NOT be able to be a pilot as youre hoping. air force pilots need a degree from a college/university before they get selected for a fligh tslot to train for. preferably a science/engineering degree. these pilots make the best kind. if you join righ tout of HS, you will be a crew chief or a form of mechanic or support group for these planes. Go to college. study engineering. work out and run alot. and then be an air force pilot. thats how it works.

if your eintested in more info about how it really works and about how much coin we commercial pilots REALLY make....PM me and ill tell you. but after all the cutbacks from 9/11 and the layogfffs...all those big paychecks disappeared with their pensions. tehres alot of unemployed broke pilots on the street...and lets not discuss the divorce rate among pilots!!

570428[/snapback]

Wow that has got to be one of the most insiteful post i've seen in awhile.

I'll prolly have a post similar to this in a few months when i start applying for colleges.

Edit: If i may add also

Last year we had a "Career Day" at my HS we had air force guys come over too and he did tell us 3/300+(something like that) people become real pilots that apply. Just because tons of people want to "fly" its just a natural dream for a human. How many kids do you hear say "I want to be an Astronoat"

Edited by p8baller07

Yeah.. Go to college and do AROTC. It really is the best of both worlds. You takes classes full time and train on certian days and summers. You can dual Major in Business and Aeronautics/enginering if you think you can deal with those classes and ROTC. With ROTC, you get paid school including all university fees, Stipend for books, an Allowence each month(increases every year). After you graduate you will have a full time job in the Airforce, so you dont have to worry unlike other college grads. After serving, you can almost get jobs anywhere cause Military service will be on your resume. Best thing I can say to do is talk to as many people as you can. Go to a university and talk to the ROTC recuiters and if possible talk to the students in ROTC. they can give you a better idea at what is ahead.