My Future.... I Need Some Help

Bionix

I'm currently a senior in highschool, going through the process of figuring out what I want to do. I'm being pulled in two different directions and I feel like I don't have enough information to decide which way I want to go.

I can see myself

a. studying business and submerging myself in the business world

b. joining the airforce to become a pilot.

I really need help and it seems like my information sources are biased. One thing I was wondering is... is there any way for me to do both? The airforce reserves are kinda confusing, their site makes it sound like u wont be called into the action unless we're at """war""".... but this country has been at ""war"" with people ever since it was created lol.

If i were to join the airforce, I also fear leaving my girlfriend. Part of me just wants to get out, have an "adventure".

I'll probobly update this later... I have to go to class now.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go into the military now, while your still young, then afterwrads pursure business stuff..

You don't wanna get Computer certs and degrees?

I was thinking the same thing. What's holding me back is the following: Afraid I'll miss out on my prime years, where I would normally be learning millions of things by being in college... both socially and academically, afraid I'll be behind in the business world since I got a late start, and I'm really scared about leaving my girlfriend. I mean.. if I join the airforce and become a pilot... will I live on a base for however many years i serve? Are you allowed to have spouses?

and does anyone have some insight on the reserves?

Edited by Bionix

Yes you can have spouses if you live on a base somewhere stationed... can't have her with you for training and stuff I think..

Secondly, I did my music degree right after high school, couldn't get a job, now I'm in school again getting certs and a comp science degree, college is not like high school at all, there are no age issues like.. oo this guy's 5 years older than us he can't hang out. ask anybody here, college is all about openness of people towards others if you do it right.

so, even though i'm a "lib" and would not join the military unless i deemed it honorable for the specific cause at the time, i say that may be the best option.

my brother's in flight school right now, and his instructors keeps saying how if he joins the air force it's free pilot training and you are preffered by commercial companies afterwards...

this pilot he know, flys a 5 day tour once a month, as routine, so fly 1 week, 3 weeks off, gets 90,000 a year.

I say join the air force and once you have done your tour, you can be a cargoe plane pilot, or any pilot. It is a good thing :) If you are worried about your girlfriend well if she is willing relocate with you, yes you are allowed to bring her with you bit not to the place where you are training make sense? Just like the guy above mentioned. My dad's best friend daughter bf is in the airforce and she lives with him in LA. So go for it :) fly an f16 for me will ya :)

I just had a little chat with the recruiter. A navigator has a 6 year term, pilot has 10 years and a non flying officer has 4 years. If I was a navigator I could be out of the airforce when I'm 24.

I asked the recruiter how pilots raise families and he barely gave me a response. I want to know what their spouses do? Do they have jobs?

i was told that pilots are reassigned every 2-4 years. I wouldn't be able to do that to my girlfriend and the future family I want to have.

edit

Gremlin:

As far as I understand this... Your dad's friend's daughter's BF doesn't have a choice as to where he is located. So in 2 years he could be moved to Japan or god knows where.

Edited by Bionix

you sign up to serve your country and for its ppl not to suit your needs. dont go for anyother reason than that or you will be unhappy other wise. i have a bunch of friends in all branches and af is a giant party . i say if you are trully interested join airforce academy in colorado and be an officer. with a good degree in a relevant field. if not stick with school near home and live a humble life.

I've got a better idea. Go be unhappy with your life somewhere else.

edit

Sorry, I'll elaborate a little more. You have to be full of BS to say that the only reason u join the army is to serve your country. I want to fly and I owe my life to my country... I was able to grow up in a safe, free enviornment and I'm willing to defend it. Obviously my decision or interest in joinin the airforce has personal factors involved. I'm not quite sure why you thought I was joining? but apparantley you were wrong.

Edited by Bionix

I may be biased but Id say AF as well, you dont even want to know how much a commercial pilot makes these days, you could retire with a nice chunk of change by the time your 45.

570137[/snapback]

sounds like they make pennies especially with all this air-way and gas troubles :lol: *thread hijack in progress* im lost, one thing for sure is that im NOT going to a community college... till then im getting my stuff ready for graduation and probably prom.