Have You Tried Linux

d3bruts1d

Have you tried Linux, or do you plan to?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried Linux, or do you plan to?

• Yes, I use it as my primary desktop
    • Yes, I use it as a secondary desktop
    • Yes, I use it but only a "Live CD" version
    • Yes I have tried it within the last year, but do not use it currently
    • Yes I have tried it in the last two to five years, but do not use it currently
    • Yes I have tried it in the past, but do not remember how long ago it was, and do not currently use it
    • No, I have never tried Linux but plan to soon
    • No, I have never tried and do not plan to

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used linux last year and the install coincided with my HD dieing, so I blamed it on linux (probably wasnt linux). Then I started again, but I am WAY too curious. I corrupted my windows filesystem TWICE. I will try linux again once I get 2 folding systems up next week (xp 1700+, a64 2800+)

I've tried so many distros, I think I've lost count. I have a bunch of LiveCDs and several install discs. I've been trying Linux ever since Red Hat 5.x and that was back in 1998 or 1999.

With every new distro, I keep hoping that my system will work right off the bat or with a few config changes. Unfortunately, it's never that easy. Some distros work better with certain hardware while others work better with other hardware. I can never find a distro that works perfectly with all my hardware. If that issue could be solved, I'd be all over Linux right now (I'd only use my Windows XP installation for gaming, and since I'm not a heavy gamer, I'd be spending about 97% of my time on Linux). I absolutely love the command line interface (started using computers with DOS 5.x), so that's another incentive for me to switch to Linux.

Yes, I run Yoper Linux as a secondary desktop.

Started with Mandrake, went to Fedora, jumped in on the Knoppix craze for awhile and then I found Yoper. I've tried others since, but always run back to Yoper.

Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) is nice too.

Guest Jeremy

I tried FC3 a little while back, but the truth is - windows does it all. If you just need a desktop for browing the internet, emailing, etc then linux would work great. But if you want compatibility and convenience then Windows is the way to go. And its not like Windows is insecure, it can be just as secure as Linux if you use it safely.

Edited by Jeremy

SuSE 9.1 as my secondary computer/server, i learn c++ on it (so i wont write windows-only software lol), and sometimes run a CZ server on it. I turn it on only like once a month tho lol.

suse 9.1, mandrake 10.1, red hat 9, fedora, xandros and linspire(just to see it)

out of them all, i think suse was my favorite. well maybe mandrake. not too impressed with the redhat guys, especiall with the new activation stuff. seems to be getting further and further away from their roots(ie opensource)

i love people who talk about how cool the mac os's look. i just smile and go home to one of my linux distros and laugh. not trying to mac-bash, but if i want an operating system that looks and acts like linux, i'll use linux.

Last time I tried it was as a Live CD version.

In short, what is the point. I have 5-7 machines running Win xp- pro, 2000, and one old laptop running Win 98. Doesn't do much, just displays stuff.

The point is, what is the point of wasting time with Linux?

I have no software for it. I am so tied into / Locked into MS Office it is silly. All my games are XP,

Is there a BF2 release for Linux ???? Didn't think so.

Maybe it is great for file server access, but my Raptors in Raid 0 do a pretty strong job under XP.

I just read that MS may soon release some Linux software.

I guess from Microsoft's stand point it is kind of like Office for the Mac.

A little known fact, if Microsoft terminated their Mac Office line, Apple would be in deep trouble. Yea, apple is suppoesd to be great, but without MS word and Excel, they have no software to offer ouside of Quark, which is great, but a limited sized user group.

My guess is MS releases Office Linux, which WILL NOT BE OPEN, and they tailor it to certain distributions, like Red Hat, which seems to have some financial meet on it now. That way, the next time someone says Monopoly, they can say....Hey, we are supporting the competition.

One thing we all know is if MS releases Linux Office, the OS will finally have a chance for significant PC addoption outside the "enthuisast" and or "server only" realm.

The catch is, you will still be paying MS for a key piece of PC software and they will be happy with that. Oh yea, and they won't ever tell any exactly how it works so good luck with that whole Open thing.

JMHO

CPU_Cooker

you do the math... worked for MS. MCSE... I'm not allowed to use linux :)

no just joking about that. I tried, it and there's only one version I really care for. desktop LX (a very scarsely used distro)

Last time I tried it was as a Live CD version.

In short, what is the point. I have 5-7 machines running Win xp- pro, 2000, and one old laptop running Win 98. Doesn't do much, just displays stuff.

The point is, what is the point of wasting time with Linux?

I have no software for it. I am so tied into / Locked into MS Office it is silly. All my games are XP,

Is there a BF2 release for Linux ????