Fileserver

galla2k4eva

Right, well are you going to try that USB modem? I've never used that before so... all I can say is you'll need to first do:

`portinstall pppoa`

Once installed:

`cp /usr/local/share/doc/speedtouch/ppp.conf.sample /etc/ppp/ppp.conf`

You'll then need to edit /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and change <login>, <password>, <VPI> and <VCI> in the "adsl:" section

VCI is usually 38 in the UK I think, and VPI is 0

Then you'll need to do:

`cp /usr/local/etc/rc.d/adsl.sh.sample /usr/local/etc/rc.d/adsl.sh`

To see if it all works without rebooting do:

`/usr/local/etc/rc.d/adsl.sh start`

If it's all good... then... I think it'll show up as "tun0" in `ifconfig`. Make sure what it is though as I haven't actually got one of those USB modems here to test that.

Right, iff ( if and only if ;) ) all of the above is working you *should* be able to follow

http://bone.bone.servebeer.com/freebsd/sho...step=1&guide=16

That page isn't in the index yet because, well, the whole firewall thing is a little more complex and you're going to have to be my test piggy to see just how well it all works (if it does at all) :P

During the guide it'll mention having to change interface names. Your external interface (internet) should be `tun0` (or whatever ifconfig shows for the usb modem) and your internal interface, well, I don't know :) Tell me what network card you have an I will tell you. You should just be able to check the output of `ifconfig` again and it'll be one of the top two. Your LAN ip range I don't know either. At a guess I am going to say you're probably going to use the standard 192.168.0.0/16 range... you'll need to change that in the firewall script.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I mention my modem?

I don't know :) Do you have the Alcatel USB modem? Maybe that was aaronamd?

=S I'll get that all done tomorrow hopefully =D

:)

One network card is an onboard Realtek I think, the other is an Intellinet pci card. Is that enough information =S not much I know.

516467[/snapback]

Well the onboard Realtek should be "rl0". Never heard of Intellinet before.... *tries to find a card*

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/produc...d=16806&cat=437

That one? If so... that's Realtek based too so that'll probly be "rl1", or the onboard will be "rl1" and the PCI will be "rl0"... suppose it just depends what gets detected first really :)

Yea thats the card, thanks. I have a Scientific Atlanta modem, network or usb cable for it but only one at a time for some reason =/

516524[/snapback]

lol why would you want them both plugged in at the same time? You're gonna have to use the network way of plugging it in, which is actually easier. Don't bother with the `portinstall pppoa` stuff I mentioned above then. That's just for those BT supplied Alcatel USB modems of evilness :)

You should be able to just follow that rough guide I linked you to earlier. I've assumed that you know how to set the internet interface up though! (i.e running DHCP on rl1 or rl0). That should just be a case of:

ifconfig_fxp1="DHCP"

in /etc/rc.conf and replace fxp1 with the interface your modem is plugged in to. Then to get those changes going you can either:

• drop to single user mode and back out again
  • run `dhclient fxp1`
  • reboot

If you need help getting the internet ip address actually on to the network card, well, i'm right here :P

I really need a KVM switch =P

as soon as this is all set up I should be able to use SSH right?

516539[/snapback]

Well of course!

If you've got a serial port free you could also set up a serial console ;) You might not find that one as useful as me though..

Well my scalextrix cable is in there at the moment =P dunno if its double ended. Will the serial console require the network to be set up first?

516544[/snapback]

Nope. It's... cool lol You get the boot process from just after BIOS with a serial console (unless you've got a server motherboard which can display the BIOS over serial console, I WANT ONE!). Other than that it's just like SSH (but obviously doesn't need network). It's basically my monitor on my server.. since I don't have enough room in the cupboard for a monitor (and don't even have a spare monitor). I just take my laptop over to it (in the rare case I might need to), plug the serial cable in, fire up hyperterminal and login :)

EDIT: Yeah, it's just a double ended thing. That cable may work (there's actually a few ways they can be wired unfortunately)