Fileserver

galla2k4eva

Yea I was hoping for two network cards of its complicated I'll just get a router.

511126[/snapback]

Well my own set up is an ethernet ADSL modem with two network cards in the box, so I could help you out with that one. Suppose it depends just how much you want to get in to the whole unixey managing a FreeBSD box type thing :P

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see if I can get an unwanted router off someone if not would it be easy to get everything set up before I set It up as a gateway?

511133[/snapback]

It's not really too difficult. You could have my firewall set with a few small changes (by no means am I a firewall expert, but I have had no problems with it so far!) and... setting up nat is fairly straight forward.

/etc/natd.conf

same_ports yes
use_sockets yes
dynamic yes
interface fxp1

where "fxp1" is the interface the modem is attached to (my second network card).

/etc/rc.conf

# NATD
natd_enable="YES"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

That makes natd start at startup. Then you're just left sorting the firewall out. Which does require a kernel recompile to add a couple of options, but even that's pretty straight forward.

Router is going to probably be easier, but setting it up as a gateway shouldn't be too difficult as I have a firewall ruleset you could use.. so you wouldn't have to figure that one out :P

Okay so if I can't get a router no worries.

Does that sendmail thing let you set up a mailserver? That might be helpfull in the future.

511145[/snapback]

If you wanted a mail server I would recommend installing postfix from ports :) But yes, sendmail is the traditional SMTP server. If you were to be also needing a POP3 server to actually retreive e-mail from other boxes, I aint too sure. I use IMAP and have been using courier-imap. I think there's a courier POP3 server too though if you don't want IMAP (amongst other POP3 servers I am sure, but courier would be the first place I would look as.. courier imap works very well)

just finished (for the most part) my freeBSD box, it rocks! stable as ever with a really small amount of ram and performes great.

do they have a freebsd for dummies book? if so im getting one.

like mrboo said it really is pretty straight forward.

I have now become an apostle of the BSD! mwahahahahaha! mwahaha! :lol:

just finished (for the most part) my freeBSD box, it rocks! stable as ever with a really small amount of ram and performes great.

do they have a freebsd for dummies book? if so im getting one.

like mrboo said it really is pretty straight forward.

I have now become an apostle of the BSD! mwahahahahaha! mwahaha! :lol:

511310[/snapback]

:lol: I dont think they have a FreeBSD for dummies book, it's not as popular as Linux. They do have this one..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Which I hear is very good.

It's not that difficult really :) I think the slice / partition bit is definately the hardest part. Updating your system from source isn't even that hard! Nor is compiling a new kernel :) I'll write step by steps for those two things too.

Cool, buying case at the weekend. Hopefully I will get it set up by the end of the weekend, if not end of the week.

511519[/snapback]

Nice nice. I should have a Samba and PHP install guide for you (and possibly a few more) done by then :)