Fileserver

galla2k4eva

erm I'll do that now *looks guilty* kinda forgot the parameters for the shutdown command

516955[/snapback]

HAHA!

`shutdown -h now` is usually all you need ;) If in doubt just type `reboot` instead and hold the power button at POST time to turn it off :P

Well, if that's the case I wouldn't worry too much. Soft Updates is there to try and prevent file system corruption from these kind of things. You've probably just lost a few recent files that hadn't been written out from filesystem cache / hard disk cache at worst. I'd answer "y" to any questions `fsck` throws at you.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right done and set up the boot.config file too, all that stuff you said. Now you said you use hyperterminal? gotta figure out which com port is my serial port theres 3 on this comp.

516960[/snapback]

Three :O Did you fiddle with /etc/ttys too? Hyper terminal shouldn't be too difficult to set up. Just try all the com ports. But when you connect, you'll probably have to hit enter a couple of times to get the output going (if the box is already running that is)

yea I did that. COM3 is the only one that I can type anything into after connecting, so should that be it?

516964[/snapback]

Do you get a login prompt on that one? If so, well, that's the one :P

How very odd! Hmm.. lemme go steal my serial cable from the briefcase and see if I can manage to get it working on that...

EDIT: SSH should already be set up so.. just download putty and connect :)

EDIT: Well, works just fine for me.. but both my laptop and big computer (with vmware) only have one serial port so I know for sure they're both com port 1 lol

The default baud rate is 9600, so you'll have to be sure to set that in hyperterminal. Other than that, that's all I did...

EDIT AGAIN!!!: Sounds like in /boot.config you might want -D instead of -h too. -D supposedly displays on both the monitor and serial console, -h is just serial console.

Unless you don't want a monitor, in which case -h is good... ( -D always seems to output to the display for me :( )

*finds windows disk!!*

This network setup is impossible! I don't give up easy, been trying to do this for 3 days, i could have it all set up on windows in 3 hours! Seeing the BIG downsides to Unix now, why wont it detect the DCHP servers! Getting pretty angry about this. I could be using a server by now if I use even a old version of Windows.

*finds windows disk!!*

This network setup is impossible! I don't give up easy, been trying to do this for 3 days, i could have it all set up on windows in 3 hours! Seeing the BIG downsides to Unix now, why wont it detect the DCHP servers! Getting pretty angry about this. I could be using a server by now if I use even a old version of Windows.

517008[/snapback]

Eh? It does detect DHCP servers :P If it didn't I wouldn't be on the internet right now.