Fileserver

galla2k4eva

I plugged it directly into the modem. Started it up, went into the setup, asked it to detect them.....nothing. What else do I have to do?

517017[/snapback]

• Run `ifconfig` and make sure you've got two "rl" adapters showing up.
  • Plug the modem in to one of them.
  • Run `dhclient rl0`
  • Run `ifconfig rl0`, does it have an IP address?
  • If no to the above, run `dhclient rl1`
  • Run `ifconfig rl1`, does it have an IP address?
  • If no, well, get back to me.

*cough* and of course Windows is going to be easier You've used it your whole life, you know it inside out, you don't have to learn how to do anything :P

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my network cards are sis0 rl0.

No ip addresses, unplugged it now.

*goes to linuxiso.org*

517050[/snapback]

I take it you tried `dhclient sis0` and `dhclient rl0` instead then?

Does this modem still work fine, right now, with the same network cable on your Windows pooter? Guessing that's how you're on the net right now?

Did you do all that firewall stuff already too? Because if my firewall rules are broken for set up's other than mine... then nothing's going to happen...

i've had problems with realtek cards and unix/linux systems EVEN if they are supported, mine sometimes diden't want to upload things....

And yes, the older Realtek cards are one of the worst chips the planet. Taken straight from the source comments:

/*

* The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is

* probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible

* exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master

* DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance

* gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.

[snip]

If he wants to give up already without giving me a chance to help, well, fine by me :)

No I havent done the firewall stuff, I did `dhclient sis0` and `dhclient rl0`.

I think I'll try a HD install of Knoppix. Used it from CD before and there is a way of installing it through SSH.

517098[/snapback]

No idea why it aint working for you then. Always works fine for me and I have tried on... 4 different machines. Only other thing I can think is that the cable between the card and modem isn't a crossover cable, but then I don't think it would work between your Windows computer and the modem (assuming you're using the same cable).

Did you try plugging the modem in to both ports to see if it was just one of the cards that's faulty? (I have had a faulty card before, recognised but wouldn't actually do anything... another card fixed that issue obviously).

Quite curious to know if you manage to get an IP address from it with Linux.

Its done. I'll burn it later, burning a DVD at the moment. Its convertng to so It'll take a while.

517482[/snapback]

:O I just now got my free upgrade to 1MB *paints arse blue and dances around the roooooom* :rolleyes:

Lemme know if DHCP starts working with it.