Legal, Free Way To Obtain Music

zone99

I like how everyone in this thread pretends as if they actually care if they obtain the music "legally". Its the spirit of the action that makes it wrong. Just cause you found a "loop hole", that doesnt make what your doing any better. It doesnt matter if you're going to rip "streams" or download off bit torrent you're accomplishing the same task either way. You really should stop lying to yourself to make yourself feel better.

Edited by andrusk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok then if you guys don't care if it's legal, then why bother to enter this discussion forum at all. it clearly announced its topic in the title. i didn't expect this forum to change the world. i was merely interested if anyone else has thought of this.

oh and andrusk, selling it WOULD be illegal.

the whole point of even getting legal music is that you have a reason for not paying. right now i am saving up for a car and i can't afford to pay 2 hours salary or more for a CD that might not even have 15 tracks on it. when i've settled down and have a steady job, you can bet ur butt that i'll be paying for my music and supporting our economy (i might be in the recording industry anyways)

he is saying, why do you care if its obtained via a stream or via BT... it accomplishes the same thing... its like taking the highway... you can speed on the highway or you can go barelly above the speed limit (buying music would be the speed limit)... either way you could get busted... you dont think the RIAA hasnt already thought of this, do you?

oh and andrusk, selling it WOULD be illegal.

493702[/snapback]

You can make all the justifications you want. "Im poor", "Im young", "Ill buy it if I really like it". Whatever it is, its still a justification.

oh and zone99, if you bother to actually read the threads carefully on the previous page... I never mentioned selling the music. That was holodream

:rolleyes:

I agree with andrusk... but music published online under a GPL or similar license is completely legal to download for free, given that the terms of the license are adhered to; usually, the terms are just that you do not take that free music and try to sell it. Some of that music can be found on a band's website, or on a site such as music.download.com.

Music given away in this manner is usually used as advertisement for the band, and the RIAA has not a *darn* thing to do with it (thankfully); although some artists will give away music for the sake of the art, and not for profit.

Basically, if the music is not outright given away by the band, or whoever has legal rights over the content, then it is generally not right to try to "get past the system" and rip the music in one way or another for free, even if you are not going to sell it. Now while it may not be illegal to rip streamed or broadcasted (anyone remember cassettes and stereo cassette decks?) music, we are not talking about just one rip. That has an effect almost the same as redistributed pirated content.

This does not mean that I like RIAA, or "choked access" to content; I'd much rather see the industry not be so focused on strait profit... but that is another story.

right to clear sum stuff up:

it was the atterney that said (suddenly it looks like attorney is spelled wrong) that it was legal. i asked if i could get it in writing and he said he charges $175/hour. that's how certain he was.

sorry i mixed up ur little names.

oh don't call me zone99 cuz it's my friend's account.

oh and if you can think of better circumstances in which it would be more moral for me to download music, i can't think of any better reason

1)i'm workin $6/hour @ arbys

2)i may WORK for the RIAA one day

3)i will pay for my music when i have a steady job

people are too friggin connected to money.

i guess i'm one of those non-stereotypical jews.

i will save up enough money for a car in about september. i guess i will start buying my music then. and also a cell phone.

This forum is shot to hell!

This forum is shot to hell how? We do not support illegal or "gray" activities. This is not the site to go to to try to find how to circumvent laws, irrespective of this topic.

You've been an active member for how long? I can tell you now that this place is not "shot to hell".

I like how everyone in this thread pretends as if they actually care if they obtain the music "legally".  Its the spirit of the action that makes it wrong.  Just cause you found a "loop hole", that doesnt make what your doing any better.  It doesnt matter if you're going to rip "streams" or download off bit torrent you're accomplishing the same task either way.  You really should stop lying to yourself to make yourself feel better.

493692[/snapback]

I absolutely agree also. this is just another way to rationalize wrong-doing. It may be a legal loophole, but it is still not following the spirit of the law.

If you want to post here you should get your own account. Saying stuff like "don't call me zone99 this is a friends account" is stupid. How are we supposed to know that you hijacked your friends account? What should we call you? Guy? Dude? Zone99 friend? Beavis?