Legal, Free Way To Obtain Music

zone99

Beavis: Hey Butthead...hehehe...can I use your OCC account to...hehehe...show people how to get free music? Hehehahaha! I need TP for my bunghole!

Butthead's reponse: I don't need to eat your stinkin' tacos..........but I'm gonna!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavis sounds good! If you want to post here, please make your own account - it's free (as in music?).

I'm now setting off the BS alert. If you are really interested in (maybe) working for the RIAA some day in the future, but definately in the music industry, you've better never say the words "free music" again. There is no way someone with the mental capacity of a dust bunny would knowingly associate with that company...

Here's my take on it. If a band freely gives away their music via links on their website, then yes, that specific track is free. Period. If you wanna rip a music stream or DL via a P2P app, then that track should also be free. Just like the old days of recording from the radio to a tape, ripping a stream should be legit too, but just grabbing mass amounts of music off of P2P isn't right.

This forum is shot to hell how?  We do not support illegal or "gray" activities.  This is not the site to go to to try to find how to circumvent laws, irrespective of this topic.

You've been an active member for how long?  I can tell you now that this place is not "shot to hell".

493765[/snapback]

please please learn how to read: this isn't my account and i'm too friggin lazy 2 make one. and this particular FORUM, MINE, the topic being "legal, free way to obtain music," is shot to hell because of you people. before you post, you need to think about how your little piece of whatever is gonna affect the forum. jeez this is only my second forum ever, i'm glad i didn't buy an account on IMDB cuz the ppl there are even less intelligent than you guys.

jeez i thought these are supposed to be fun and informative and maybe spark a debate. i'd better rethink discussions in general cuz i'm hoping to start up a philosophy club this year at school.

I absolutely agree also.  this is just another way to rationalize wrong-doing.  It may be a legal loophole, but it is still not following the spirit of the law.

493766[/snapback]

Once again, learn how to read, or at least learn how not to ignore my point of view. i know ur sitting sumwhere in a big leather chair typing away at a huge fancy computer looking down your nose at those who are less fortunate and have to be clever to get what they want.

If you want to post here you should get your own account.  Saying stuff like "don't call me zone99 this is a friends account" is stupid.  How are we supposed to know that you hijacked your friends account?  What should we call you?  Guy? Dude? Zone99 friend? Beavis?

493769[/snapback]

i'm lazy. i am the seidburns.

Beavis sounds good!  If you want to post here, please make your own account - it's free (as in music?).

I'm now setting off the BS alert.  If you are really interested in (maybe) working for the RIAA some day in the future, but definately in the music industry, you've better never say the words "free music" again.  There is no way someone with the mental capacity of a dust bunny would knowingly associate with that company...

Here's my take on it.  If a band freely gives away their music via links on their website, then yes, that specific track is free.  Period.  If you wanna rip a music stream or DL via a P2P app, then that track should also be free.  Just like the old days of recording from the radio to a tape, ripping a stream should be legit too, but just grabbing mass amounts of music off of P2P isn't right.

493785[/snapback]

actually i've already tried to contact 70+ recording studios in my area to intern at and I have 90 more to go. i hope to get an internship for this fall semester of my junior high school year.

Edited by zone99

I don't think this forum has been shot anywhere. This is a forum, where people ask and answer questions, and give opinions. I don't recall seeing where someone here actually IS a lawyer, so they are giving their opinions. Period. Some of these arguments may have some merit, some may not; some may have legal bearing, some may be pure guesses or 'what feels right/legal'. There is a huge arena of debate over this topic world-wide, and a lot of people saying "digital media is OK" and others saying "you can't hum any part of that song without a license from me". The whole subject is about as volitile as religion vs. politics, AMD vs. Intel, or Linux vs. Windows. Calm Down Beavis.

Try not to group a whole forum over one stinkin thread... And HELLNO, the people here aren't all Billy Moneybags laughing at some poor high school kid 'cause he's broke. You have more income than a lot of people here do.

I'd also recommend that you try talking to some Indy groups/studios. They are a bit more human than some big stupid media company. They might not have as much cash, but usually more talent.

Well...the forum rules state that we should be able to play nice (at least respectfully) together in the sandbox....

Now it seems there is sand and toys thrown everywhere...

So it is time for everyone to take a time out....

(Why Yes, I do have a small child at home, what makes you ask??) :)