This Can't Be Happening Again

well, i don't believe it! i just had my 3rd neo2 die on me! SINCE CHRISTMAS!!! the first board, my xmas present, died probably due to me pushing it too much, and having to do too many cmos resets. rma'd that board, they(msi) sent me a doa. got that one replaced about 3 weeks ago, and things were going okay. til tonight. i wasn't even oc'd. i did a bios update to 1.4 earlier today, that seemed to go fine. rebooted, everything normal. burned some dvds, no problem. just went downstairs to play some hl2, and nothing. everything powers up, fans, hdd, lights, just screen stays black. that little diagnostic thingy that comes with msi "stuff" just goes red, red, red, orange. that is the same thing the first board did. this sux.

i had my doubts about msi, i had a run in with them years ago, but the reviews were overwhelming. i thought i'd give the neo2 a try, my mistake. nobody, and i mean nobody, will ever convince me to go msi again. bah to msi!!

yeah, it does.

silverfox, as far as the psu goes, it is an antec 430. all the voltages measure very good with mbm5, and just to be sure i used a multimeter to verify. i don't think it's the psu.

the only other thing i could think of is if the mobo is shorting out on the case. i don't think that's the case either because everything seems fine for awhile. and like i said, the reviews are wonderful for this board. of course, i have not had any luck with msi. i had a k7n2-delta and the agp slot died. had a k7n2g and the onboard video died. i will be going back the dfi, the only board i never had any trouble with.

i would be perfectly happy finding out it's my own fault, because then i could fix it--make sure it didn't happen again. but, i've built alot of computers and this has been the worst.

i got the same psu and k8n neo2 platinum, and my board is running good, so far no errors, the only problems i get when overclocking is due to my cheap @$$ corsair ram and cbbib settping A64. other than that, i find the ne02 the best bang for the buck.

if i where you, iw ould get a new PSU....you arent gonna be able to ad to mcuh more to your comp with a 420 anyways, and make sure you get one that is more then 25A on the 12Vrail, if oyu wnat a PSu that will last you awhile, get an OCZ powerstream 520, mine has treated me great

Well I got my replacement for my MSI NEo that went bad and I ended up getting the Soltek K8AV2-RL K8T800 Chipset...got everything hooked up and in place and tried it out and the only thing it does is keep reseting itself...I dont have any idea on what this is...this is now two different mobos now that are giving me a hassle...The RAM is ok..vid card is ok and everything else seems to be ok..just cant pinpoint the problem with this system...anyone have any ideas or experience the same issue with this board..my spex are as follows..

AMD 64 2800+

PDP Patriot PC3200 512 RAM x1

WD 80GB HDD(Boot Drive)

Maxtor 30GB HDD(Music Drive)

BFG Tech Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 OC

350W Stock PSU included in case(which works fine)..this also powered up the MSI which ran for almost a month strait no prooblems..

Verbatim CD-RW

I dunno what else to do...I highly doubt the mobo is bad..I by my stuff from newegg..and have never had an issue with bad stuff from them..I am positive this is brand new stuff..never used..

It seems like something else is not right here. Maybe it's just the worst luck in the world, but I don't think ANY motherboard is so bad that one person will get 3 dead ones. ..

Swap a part once, fine. Swap the part again, get skeptical. Swap the part the third time, and maybe it's time to re-evaluate your solution methods. I support service techs at work, and if they swapped a part three times and asked me for a fourth, I'd start asking some pretty in-depth questions.

I don't mean to imply that it -couldn't- be the MSI, but the chances of anyone having that bad of luck just aren't that great. It seems like something else is causing this problem. And I'm not saying that because I'm diehard MSI, because I'm not, I'm actually more of an Abit person most of the time :) But I would say this regardless of make or model.

ya know, i wondered if it could be the processor. it is very tempermental. but, i didn't know if a processor would be able to cook a mobo. could it? i, like so many others, find it hard to believe that it has been the board all three times, but i just can't find what else it could be. i am using all of the stand offs, so it shouldn't be a shorting to the case issue. heat is not a problem. i am not getting crazy with the oc. as a matter of fact, the only oc on it when it died was the video card. if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. thanks.

in the meantime, i'll rma the board and the processor. maybe starting fresh will help. either that, or i may just start a new rig. i'm thinking dfi lan party nf4-ultra. i had a lanparty nf2 ultra d, with my unlocked 2500. that was the greatest rig i ever had. kinda regretting trading up to the a64 stuff. oh well, maybe the dfi, new processor, and tap out my pny 6800gt agp for a bfg 6800gtoc pci-e version. i don't know what i'm gonna do.

thanks again for all the help, i just hope to goodness that i don't get a new board and have the same crap happen.