This Can't Be Happening Again

No, the CPU isn't the culprit.

My suggestion would be to drop $150 or so to get a 480w Antec or Enermax PSU and an Energizer 650VA UPS to filter your line current.

I see this all the time, and the only thing that really cures the problem is to completely isolate the PC from the wall current.

That is the UPS I use for my sig rig, and it is quite possibly the best $75 investment I have ever made. Very cheap, yet very effective insurance.

thanks again everybody. the psu i suppose could be the problem. the line current from the wall is not the problem. i am running behind a Liebert Enterprise level in-line ups. the thing weighs like 85 pounds and will run my system and my wife's for an hour or so. like i said, it is an in-line ups not a switching ups. so i know that the current is good.

not really, but i did some work for a guy who was kinda hard up for money. he had these from a business he used to run, so it was a good trade. i did about $300 worth of work, and one of these ups runs about $900. it is a 2000VA with an additional 1500VA battery. very neat, and stable but big and fairly loud. it has two chargers built into it and each of them has 2 fans that run constantly. but, i'll use my computer in the middle of a thunderstorm without any worries.