New Intel Procs...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that they are going to need some serious cooling. either way, i think a lot of the more "with-it" computer builders are going to avoid them because teh 939 A64's are so cheap and perform really well.

not to p|ss on intels fire, but, they are rather expensive - these new faster chips will be beyond some people's budgets. shame. nice and reliable but a bit too hot for most people!

Bah, as far as I'm concerned Intel no longer makes a EE chip. A Prescott core'd EE is not a EE, it's either go galatin or go home. That's why you are seeing the new EE chips are slower previous versions.

I think eventually Intel will get it worked out. Maybe we expected too much from them? When AMD went A64, it was so new to so many people that we took whatever came, and loved it. Intel is coming in at a tougher time, because we have a notion of what 64s will do and we expect a smidge above that.

At least this goes to prove that clock speed isn't everything. The 6xx line is clocked at exactly the same speeds as their 5xx equivalents, except the 6xx line is 64-bit and an extra 1MB of L2 cache.

It's too bad that these chips are still so hot, otherwise they show a lot of potential.

This is also a good thing for AMD, since they now get about a $12 royalty per chip Intel produces