I Can Get A Load Of Computers To Fold On

bigr5026

They get power for free anyway

400889[/snapback]

since when do school's not have to pay thier utility bill?

having worked on the other side of this coin, she has a point. a very valid one too. schools just flat out don't have the money. and if it comes down to saving $400 a YEAR, let alone a month... they'll do it. for the financial reasons alone I can't say that I blame her for saying no.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, they get the power because the power company considers it a tax deduction, i know from knowing people on the board, anyway, i talked to her to show all the stats anda bunch of stuff whare it will be healthy because it will let the computer show any probs during the comps warranty and a bunch of stuff. I found out that the machines are just in dell cases. They are really amd 64 bit, 3000. The local computer shop guy told me about the order for 200 of them. The rest are 1600 xps with a heck of a cooler. i ran some tests, 32c at full load these things handle. These things are pretty decent. I guess these aare for all the photo editors in thare. I was allowed to take a look at one of the comps with pc wizard. Mobo was a asus av7, i think, on the xps. They had a mx4000, so i know wthey were built for photo editing. I talked with one of the techs and they said the only thing they have on thare that is going to turn some major w/us is the 7 cpu opteron server. I am offically jealous. Now im talking to the techs who like the idea more and have higher athourty. This is a good sign

bosco... I was a network admin for a school... god there were days I wanted to shoot people for saying stuff like that. I heard other people in the Dept come up with the absolute dumbest things. but it's also odd that administration would actually let a technical decision rest in the hands of the tech department... usually so stupid about it that the most uninformed person makes the choices for the entire district.

now you see why I swear I'll NEVER work in a school again? of course I could fill an entire book on rants about working in a public school :) so we'll keep it short.

no, they get the power because the power company considers it a tax deduction, i know from knowing people on the board, anyway, i talked to her to show all the stats anda bunch of stuff whare it will be healthy because it will let the computer show any probs during the comps warranty and a bunch of stuff. I found out that the machines are just in dell cases. They are really  amd 64 bit, 3000. The local computer shop guy told me about the order for

200 of them. The rest are 1600 xps with a heck of a cooler. i ran some tests, 32c at full load these things handle. These things are pretty decent. I guess these aare for all the photo editors in thare. I was allowed to take a look at one of the comps with pc wizard. Mobo was a asus av7, i think, on the xps. They had a mx4000, so i know wthey were built for photo editing. I talked with one of the techs and they said the only thing they have on thare that is going to turn some major w/us is the 7 cpu opteron  server. I am offically jealous. Now im talking to the techs who like the idea more and have higher athourty. This is a good sign

402482[/snapback]

A bunch of AMD 64 3000+ shoudl completly own anything else this team has. And by a bunch i'm implying 200! Keep working on this angle because this would be worth it. And tell the tech that those 3000 WILL TURN IN SOMEMAJOR W/u's.. that's right use his own words against him. They are excellent, much better then 3000xp's because of the cache and SSE2 support. OMG that is such a unused reserve of Folding power......

in this subject i would like to announce that im going on a folding mission at my school.  There all p4 2.8's and the new G5 apples.  Probably around 400 machines but i doubt i will get all, im plannin on about maybe 50-100, and coolzero will be helping.  but it will make a great contribution I hope and i'll be starting it this week hopefully.

403445[/snapback]

As long as you have permission first- please no borging.

I would install folding on the computers at school but they have a program called deepfreeze on them that restores everything after the computer is restarted. My school wouldnt go for any folding anyways, they dont like anything being on the computers, including kids.

i installed f@h on 4 or 5 computers at my school, but then they got spyware on one of them and they attribute it to f@h. They didnt uninstall(probably dont know how), but they wont let me instally on any other computers :(.