2 Mobos 1 Psu

I saw a guide once for hooking 2 mobos to 1 psu. I think it was in a folding fourm. I can't seem to find it now. Google returned a bunch of junk. Anybody else seen this?

THX

Well the way i see it it would be a bad idea, we all try our dangest to get more power to 1 mobo lolll

But if you really want it, all you would have to do is "Y" connect (split) all the wires of the motherboard cable so you'd wind up with 2 mobo connectors.

The PSU will not see a diffrence and power both motherboard at the same time ;)

Edited by kobalt

Well the way i see it it would be a bad idea, we all try our dangest to get more power to 1 mobo lolll

But if you really want it, all you would have to do is "Y" connect (split) all the wires of the motherboard cable so you'd wind up with 2 mobo connectors.

The PSU will not see a diffrence and power both motherboard at the same time ;)

If you have a 600watt PSU and 2 older machines that dont use as much power then why bother having 2 PSUs and cases if they're just folding machines or servers.

Seems like a good idea to me. I just dont have 2 motherboards. ;)

Yea id go for that try to put the two best older motherboards that use the highest speed processors posible. If you manage it then you just created your own mini server. :lol:

It would still be 2 entirely seperate computers, they'd just be in the same case (unless your putting 2 cases right next to each other) and using the same PSU.

And a server doesnt need to have more than 1 proc in it, its all about how its configured. I have 2 servers at home, a web server with a 800mhz proc and a 4gb HD and 128mb ram. And I have a gaming server with a 2.4ghz and an 80gb HD and 256mb ram.

It would still be 2 entirely seperate computers, they'd just be in the same case (unless your putting 2 cases right next to each other) and using the same PSU.

And a server doesnt need to have more than 1 proc in it, its all about how its configured. I have 2 servers at home, a web server with a 800mhz proc and a 4gb HD and 128mb ram. And I have a gaming server with a 2.4ghz and an 80gb HD and 256mb ram.

Exactly. That is what I am thnk of doing. or using one of those tech station things.

if you want a psu that can power 2 mobos just get another atx connector then take all the pins out of the atx connector on the psu and solder a wire to each of them. put the pins back in the atx connector then at the other end of the wires solder them to the pins in the new atx connector (make sure you solder it right or you will be in a lot of trouble). problem solved. make sure the power supply is powerfull enough.

Well, I did it - I have two XP 3000+s running off a cheapo 600W PSU. You just need to make/buy a Y-cable. I run these two boards with no case and a single HD each and they're folding 24/7.

Make it

Buy it

Edit:

Also see this thread

Edited by Nemo