Nintendo Ds Released

Ghost2520

Not sure if anyone in here is a fan of Nintendo handheld systems, but the Nintendo DS was released today. I'm gonna have to wait a month or so and see if its games are gonna look better than PSP, but right now my moneys going towards PSP. The DS, as for the actual system does look a LOT more appealing than the PSP. DS technology includes a touch screen (bottom screen with stylus), wireless multiplayer up to 15 other systems, a microphone (what the heck do you need that for?) and stereo sound.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i played my friend's ds, the graphics are nice, low rez but what can u expect from a handheld. the touchpad / secondary screen is very intuitive and flows nicely with the system. it will be interesting to see what kind of games they release. the aiming in the metriod demo was just awesome, much better than i expected any touchpad could pull off.

personally i hope they release some remakes of classic n64 games. some goldeneye, ocarina of time, starfox, im pretty sure mario 64 has been announced.

Edited by invidious

microphone is included because you can voice record with it. I'm guessing it has some built-in storage, or maybe you need a memory card for it...shrug.

I too am waiting to see how the PSP holds up. From what I saw months ago, it should be sweet, but who really knows. I've never owned any portable gaming device...no gameboy, no gamegear, no nokia...not even a laptop...not unless you count those little single-game handhelds like poker. But I'm definitely considering getting one this generation. The one-hour train rides to and from work are getting a little boring ;).

If PSP had dual screens, then it would be a non-issue, but as it only has one, it'll definitely depend on the game selection, graphics, and battery length. Supposedly the DS has 10 hour battery length which is awesome IMO. And the fact that it's backwards compatible with GBA games is a nice addition. PSP won't be backwards compatible with PS1 or 2 ;).

from everythign ive heard or seen the PSP is far better as far as the look of games ans versitility, but u can expect soem EXTREMELY great 1st party games from nintendo backing the Ds. Plus the PSP from what i heard still have battery life issues (like 2hr life :() the and i know the Ds is $150, but how much is teh PSP supposed to go for (havent heard recently)

from everythign ive heard or seen the PSP is far better as far as the look of games ans versitility, but u can expect soem EXTREMELY great 1st party games from nintendo backing the Ds. Plus the PSP from what i heard still have battery life issues (like 2hr life :() the and i know the Ds is $150, but how much is teh PSP supposed to go for (havent heard recently)

Check out this article from a few weeks ago:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041027-4353.html

Just to add to that, I read one article that stated you can't really go by the Japanese price and use a yen-$ conversion because with Sony's other systems (playstations), the actual US price upon release is generally a little cheaper than the yen-$ equivalent.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

The DS is going to be $195 and the battery life is about 6 hours while gaming. The reason battery life is lower is because it has to keep a disc constantly spinning where as the DS using a card. Mario is actually one of the launch games for the DS. I'm gonna stop by gamestop on Tuesday and try to play it. I sometimes go on 8 hour bus rides for band trips, or air plane rides for vacation so the next generation of handhelds should be fun. Its hard to choose... DS has Mario and Final Fanasy Crystal Chronicles, but PSP is going to have Metal Gear: AC!D along with Devil May Cry... :( The DS looks better because the screens are protected, while I can see the PSP screen getting easily scratched. For the touch screen, I can see mine covered with pizza grease after a month. :(

Death Jr. PSP

Animal Crossing DS

NFSU:Rivals PSP

that death jr. game is interesting...i have no idea what that animal crossing thing is about...looks weird. I really wanna see how Madden 2005 plays on the DS. I've seen the trailer, but it's hard to really tell.

Just got back from GameCrazy and I played the Nintendo DS. My opinions have changed slightly, the touch screen and graphics are far more crisp than I had expected. The only game I got to play was Mario 64. If you remember back in the Nintendo 64 to get to a new level you had to jump into the painting and then poof you were in the new level. Unfortuneltly this is not the case with DS... when you hit the painting it asks you if you would like to enter the level or something like that. :angry: Nintendo is overusing the touch screen in my opinion... they need to use it a bit less, but they may just be doing this because its new and they want to promote the use of it. Will have to try out a couple more games before I make my final decision though. Edit: Oh yah did I mention that in MARIO 64 you are forced to play as Yoshi, not Mario? :angry: