New Small Rig To Fold

bigred

okay I'm stuck with a TON of these things... MSI mega pc's. they're for P4 / celeron northwood upto a 533 fsb.

I have 6 of them with busted up boxes that will never sell... so anyhow how would these little turds do with a celeron 2.6 northwood and say 256mb of ram? would they be worth the effort? or should I just build another xeon or opteron for about the same amount of money as 6 of them?

hmm you could always donate them to me. :D

im sure they wouldent be to bad although they are celerons its not like there 500 mhz or something like that.

not sure how the dual does, hmm your save on your electrical bill with the dual setup.

edit: those zeons and opterons are dual right?

I hate to give aid and comfort to the "enemy" (just kidding)...

I have several AMD 2600/3000 folders all using 256MB RAM so that is plenty.

Assuming a Celeron 2.6 will fold somewhere in between a 2600+ and a 3000+ I think you're looking at 700-750 points per week for each one based on my experience. So 6 of those guys are good for maybe 4000 - 4500 ppw.

So it really boils down to a trade off between cost, heat noise and electricty usage of 6 small rigs vs. one big rig. I'd say you'd come out ahead with the 6 looking only at points production.

Assuming a Celeron 2.6 will fold somewhere in between a 2600+ and a 3000+ I think you're looking at 700-750 points per week for each one based on my experience.  So 6 of those guys are good for maybe 4000 - 4500 ppw.

So it really boils down to a trade off between cost, heat noise and electricty usage of 6 small rigs vs. one big rig.  I'd say you'd come out ahead with the 6 looking only at points production.

I have a P4 3.0C 800 FSB @ 3.45 940 FSB and it puts me at around 175 points a day... I also have a P4 2.6B 533FSb and that adds around 40 - 50 points a day as well... The celly is a 400 FSB comp meaning its gonna have less bandwidth to fold.. I am thinking its gonna put out around 40 points a day... 40* 6 comps = 240 a day... you can get that much out of a dual xenon/opteron comp easy!

My estimates are proly way off on the cellies but you get the point.

hmmm.... ectrical bill is not a problem. they'd end up in the same building as the server farm... and that is NOISY (estimate of 500+ fans there).

I'm also gonna look at the server usage reports tonight and figure out which servers are being used, and move 1/2 of the other ones outside the firewall just for folding.

as far as points a week... the dual opteron spits out 300-500 a day, while the dual 2.4's that are running only 2 instances (they could run 4) are spitting out another 200+ a day... unfortunately those xeons are also doing other tasks durring the day and earning a good chunk of cash.

then again my 3.6ghz EM64T xeons and opteron 250HE's should be here this week too :)

"one mans junk,,,"

"...another mans treasure" lol....bigred if it was me I would go with the dual xeon or operton because point production is gonna be about the same, but one rig doesn't take up near as much room, cabling, and work as six rigs.

I'm inclined to go with Nemo on this one, you already got 'em, why waste 'em eh? :D

I got me a soft spot for the Celeron Processor LMAO :lol:

Alternatively... post some pics of these slightly damaged surplus units here @ OCC, perhaps someone (who isn't hung up on case appearance) would be interested in purchasing said stock @ clearance prices ;)

Assuming a Celeron 2.6 will fold somewhere in between a 2600+ and a 3000+ I think you're looking at 700-750 points per week for each one based on my experience. So 6 of those guys are good for maybe 4000 - 4500 ppw.

So it really boils down to a trade off between cost, heat noise and electricty usage of 6 small rigs vs. one big rig. I'd say you'd come out ahead with the 6 looking only at points production.

All of my AMD rigs have only 256 mb of RAM the OC P4s some I have dual channel PC 3200 OCZ some have PC4000, and 2 have PC4200, I have one 2.6c on an Asus P4C800 Deluxe with 1 stick of Kingston PC4000. I have not had any problems with memory yet, just through 256 in all the Big Red start them all folding and build the other Dual machines also, you would be going through the ranks very quick