Cable Vs. Dsl

Symeon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cable compared to 1.5Mb/sec DSL, havent tried the higher 3.0 DSl they advertise here in Atlanta, GA, but I think the telecoms are too screwed up to get things right, not like the cable companies aren't, but I think cble is better

well i have 2 things to say first BPL isn't really anyfaster than cable is now and it's been shown to cause problems with stuff pluged into outlets that are near the modems. also with cable vs. dsl it really depends on what your doing... for most people cable is great witht he high dl speep but for people that like to run servers (like me) DSL is king i get 1.5Mbit/s up and i never ever got that with cable.

This is what I get myself - Shaw / Big Pipe Inc. in Canada.

Shaw Xtreme 5MBps / Motorola Surfboard 5100 DOCSIS 2.0 on DOCSIS 1.1 backbone / USR 8000A Router.

Here is my work DSL connection. I signed up for the 1.5 to 3.0 package...

are you sure that's not business class dsl or maybe a T1 line? i have never heard of a dsl company that doesn't cap thier lines at what you sign up for

@FxXP

hrm, what do you pay in USD for that kind of bandwidth?

So you figured out how to cheat eh?  I got that exact same speed too. :P

heh, it's probably more like 9000kbps than 22000kbps... had a sustained download speed of ~1350KB/s the other day on a ~500MB download (the UT fansite kit)

university lan... gotta love it :)

are you sure that's not business class dsl or maybe a T1 line? i have never heard of a dsl company that doesn't cap thier lines at what you sign up for

@FxXP

hrm, what do you pay in USD for that kind of bandwidth?

$99 US for the 1.5 - 3.0 line. I was paying $400 for Covad but i just switched over last month to SBC Yahoo. I could get it at home also but I dont want to pay 99 for internet at home, bad enough I'm paying $57 a month for comcast cable connection. :(