Cable Vs. Dsl

Symeon

are you sure that's not business class dsl or maybe a T1 line? i have never heard of a dsl company that doesn't cap thier lines at what you sign up for

@FxXP

hrm, what do you pay in USD for that kind of bandwidth?

Approximately $37.50 every month.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speakeasy.net is the place to get DSL

But the whole powerline thing isn't even as fast as DSL. I was reading about it in time the other day and it tops out around 512 i think?

i misss my cable so bad

I had to swtich for the money too.

DSL just flat out sucks. i have the 25bux a month DSL, and its slow like... Modem slow.. my max download is like 25-30k and my max upload is probly 10k

If money wasn't the issure i would probly have never gotten rid of my cable.

Iam using Bellsouth Lite btw. :(

wow lordofbeer and FxXP

fast speeds in canada huh?

i can hit 5Mb/sec on occasion here in Atlanta on Comcast's cable system, consistently 3-4Mb/sec down and 256k/sec upload for $42.50/mo

know what's funny, i was trying to do alot of uploading to ftp and things and things weren't running as fast as i felt they should, so i checked with one of those online bandwidth tests, sure enough, they had me capped at 128k/sec upload, so i called Comcast to inquire and was told "HHmmm, looks like you are in one of the few areas where we haven't upgraded the equipment to be able to handle 256k/sec upload speeds." I asked when this could happen as I was inclined to ask for a 25% reimbursement on the past year's bill for the 25% lack of service I was getting all along. They say " hopefully soon". That was like late at night when I called, get up the next morning, and I test, 256k/sec every time. LOL What bull****. They just had my line capped at 128k/sec to save bandwidth knowing that most people never check or care about upload bandwidth, what weazels Comcast is. :angry:

Yeah, all I will say is that you won't find a U.S. based provider that offers uploads close to T1 speed. My FTP server keeps a constant upstream of 1.16Mbps vs the 930Kbps you saw on the DSLReports screenshot.

i know rates differ by area, but here DSL is deffinately the way to go.

bellsouth extreme is 3mbps X 384kbps @ $45/mo

cableone internet is 3000kpbs X 300kbps @ $60/mo

add about $15/mo for a phone and they're about even, but in the fine print of CableOne AUP says they cap your rates after you reach an hourly limit of bandwith. so for me after d/l'ing a few hl2 and doom3 movies i was stuck at 1000kbps X 120kbps for 2 hours.

moral of the story cable sucks* :P and Read The Fine Print.

*in this area

My Cable is pretty sweet. Dunno what General was talking about, But Shaw for me is $39.99/month...Maybe he's Renting the Cable modem? We bought ours...Anyways...I get about 500KBps downstream, and about 200KBps Upstream...Not the Capitalized KB, cause that's KiloBytes not Kilobits. One time I got 700KB/s on a download over Limewire at like, 3am. Gotta love shared networks...

bell south dsl in my area sucks its down half the time and you have to have full phone service to get the decent speeds which makes it over 120 a month for the 3meg service, but the upload is better than charters cable.

i pay 99bucks a month for all the prime channels showtime,hbo,cinmax, and 3meg down/256up. i love it its almost never down and when it is its only for a couple hours in three years ive only had the internet not work 3 times and all 3 times it was only out for a hour or so. i get killer pings on most servers around 40-50 and downloads from fileshack and fileplanet are always downloads at around 300-340kbs whats not to love

imho cable is the way to go unless you need better upload speeds or at least in alabama it is.

I love my 2.9mb/s cable, personally I think cable will always beat dsl.

did anyone notice this in the article. I thought this was pretty amazing.

Current Communications delivers a "symmetrical" service, where your upload speed is as fast as your download speed.

Hey,

Last weekend I moved from PA to NJ and had my cable service disconnected until I decided what I wanted to use for a connection to the web. The women I moved in with already had standard cable service but no internet connection through Comcast. On a lark, I decided to connect my cable modem to the wire and see what would happen. Sure enough I can connect to the internet @ over 3Mbps!

Can anyone explain to me how this can work? Comcast has to be able to tell I am using their system by my MAC address, right?

Years ago someone told me that once you have your own cable modem connected to the internet that you can take it anywhere and get a connection. I thought that Comcast would have put a stop to that by now. Not to mention that fact that I moved to a different state and even though they are the same company I still had different phone #s and addresses on my bills.

:blink: